Had my mother decorated?

It was too contemporary for my grandparents' to have done.

Everything was shiny and clean, and again the lights came on as I moved. Magic must be in use for it to stay so clean. Half the walls were windows, the other half by the door brick. It had an open floor plan, where the living room became the kitchen. A wall that appeared six feet wide split the rooms. On it was a fireplace that I could see into the kitchen through because the logs weren't lit. A mantle that appeared like a ledge seemed to wrap every side. On the side I could see hung a television. To the right of the door was a sectional and coffee table, with a single painting hung behind on the brick wall. The rest of the furniture was minimal, only enough to serve a purpose. It all looked as though it had been chosen for comfort rather than style.

On the left, the room cut off, ending with the start of a hallway.

More than anything, I wanted to explore the patio area I could see through the windows of the kitchen. It appeared to follow the same open plan as inside with a rooftop pool and sitting area. Instead, I forced myself to do as Islene advised and explore that which I couldn't see. As I ventured down to the hallway, I couldn't help but wonder why it took so long to modernize our home in Briarville. This place was amazing! I even liked the abstract paintings that added pops of color to the walls of the hallway.

I passed a bathroom on the left and a pantry on the right. There was one more door on the right. Straight ahead but on an angle—like the hall was cut so it ended on a slant to the left—was the last door. It seemed important to have an irregular entry, so I decided to begin with the one on my right.

As I opened the door, I realized that the only sounds I'd heard since coming up to the second floor was those I made. Not even the door creaked, which was another oddity if the building was barely used. Who oiled the hinges?

I shook my head and stepped through the doorway into a bedroom with builder's grade tan walls. There were no embellishments but for the chocolate duvet with gold, swirling designs, with matching shams on the bed. A single picture that showcased a store-manufactured nuclear family hanging on the left. Again, there was little furniture present: a bed, nightstands, a dresser, a mirror, and lamps. To the right, a closet. Otherwise, it was as impersonal as a hotel room. Oh, the bed looked comfortable, but everything was... bare. I couldn't even see an alarm clock.

Had my mother slept here?

Were her secrets hidden here?

The thoughts prompted me to move. I checked under the bed and in the closet, both of which were empty. Opening each drawer in the dresser and nightstands, I found more of the same. I even checked for false bottoms in case my mother had decided to be crafty. There was nothing.

Exiting, I didn't bother closing the door, and went into the last room without hesitation. My eyes narrowed. The bedroom didn't have a bathroom or dressing room. How could this room be so small? Against the wall was a desk with a newer computer and a single filing cabinet beside it with a printer on top.

I checked the drawers and found regular office supplies. Again, there was nothing that provided an epiphany.

I walked to the open closet. My gaze focused on a glimmer of light I saw at the bottom of the wall. Distracted, I tripped over the wooden wedge that divided the floor of the room from the floor of the closet. Trying to brace myself so I didn't fall, my palms fell against the back wall of the closet. Instead of saving me, it moved, and I continued to fall forward.

"Ooph!" I landed sideways on my arm and glared at the wall that had turned 180 degrees, rotating like a lazy Susan.

Standing, I rubbed my arm and whispered healing words. The ache dulled but didn't disappear, and I didn't have time to figure out how to visualize it feeling better. After a single step forward, I ascended three stairs. The lighting was dim, cast by sconces on the wall, two on each side. Again, I crossed the upper landing in a single step, and marched through the open door.