Chapter 38

It was around 8pm, Antonio and I were ready and were waiting for him to finish up on a work call. I had dressed in the bathroom while Antonio dressed in our room, he didn't want to see my dress yet. My dress was a red off the shoulder floor length dress with a thin nude slit running down the middle of the front. Thin lines of darker colored fabric slipped down the bottom of the dress. I added some gold strappy heels to make the accent the look.

I quickly touched up on my messy bun that I had perfected with a curling ironing, a few gold clips, and sparkly hairspray

I quickly touched up on my messy bun that I had perfected with a curling ironing, a few gold clips, and sparkly hairspray. I stared at myself in the mirror, I felt closed in. Like I wasn't myself anymore, wearing this dress, putting on makeup, and forcing my feet into heels wasn't the "Thalia Galonos" I knew before this whole arrangement. I stared at my makeup, there was so much of it on my face. I barely even recognized myself under everything.

A knock at the door startled me, I sighed. " You ready?" Antonio asked, done with his work call. " Yeah," I responded, before putting my makeup back into my bag and wrapping up the curling iron before setting it underneath the sink.

I opened the bathroom to stare at the back of Antonio's black suit jacket. " How long are you going to keep this up?" I asked. Antonio grinned, " I want it to be a surprise." I shook my head and walked around Antonio, he immediately shut his eyes and grinned. " Look at me," I chuckled. Antonio shook his head, " no." I sighed, " I don't even look that good, just open your eyes." Again, Antonio just grinned and shook his head. Giving up, I sighed, " fine." I stared at Antonio, " will you at least hold my hand?" Antonio nodded, " yes." He stuck out his hand and I entwined mine with his. " You smell good," Antonio said. I smiled, " you look good." " I'd say the same about you," Antonio began to say. " Only if you'd open your damn eyes," I retorted. Antonio smiled and pulled my closer towards his chest. I looked up Antonio, who still had his eyes closed. " How are you going to walk down to the lobby with your eyes closed?" I asked. Antonio lifted up my hand and kissed the back of it, " I trust you not to kill me." We walked over to the door, " If you die, who gets your money?" I asked. Antonio held back a smile, " technically, you." I grinned, " don't even think about it," Antonio chuckled. I opened the door and accidentally smacked it into Antonio. He scoffed and smiled, " Thalia." I chuckled, " sorry."

      - - -
The dinning halls were voluminous and dazzling. We walked down the hall, Antonio still had his eyes closed. " Oh my god," I said as Antonio kept his eyes closed. " Just open your damn eyes." Antonio pulled me closer and smiled, " not yet." People gave us weird looks, but I just ignored them and forced myself to give them a friendly smile. " People are looking at us," I whispered to Antonio. Antonio chuckled, " they're probably looking at you." I scoffed, " no, they're wondering why the man I'm with has his fucking eyes closed." Antonio lightly pinched my side, causing my jaw to clench. " When are you going to open your eyes?" I asked as we turned the corner. " When it's the right time," Antonio answered. Suddenly, my phone rang. I rummaged through my bag before pulling out my phone. " Whose it?" Antonio asked. " My mom," I said. " I'll go get us a seat," Antonio said, knowing the call was going to be long and he wanted to give me some privacy. Right as he turned, I knew he opened his eyes.

" Thalia!" My mom exclaimed on the other side of her phone. I smiled, " hi." " I saw the dresses you got yesterday," my mom informed. " They're absolutely gorgeous!" I chuckled and walked towards the wall. " How is everyone?" I asked. " Well, everyone's doing well," my mom said. " I just wanted to tell you that your father and I left for Milan yesterday night." My heart sunk deep into my chest, the smile on my face faded. " Your dad needed to get back to work, as well as your brothers," my mom said. A thick lump formed in my throat, " okay." " How is everything?" my mom asked. " Fine," I said. " Antonio and I are at his work dinner." I could feel my mom smiling through the phone, " have you met anyone new yet?" I shook my head and sighed, " not yet." There was a moment of awkward silence before I spoke up. " Well I gotta go." My mom sighed, " okay, I miss you honey, have fun!" I ended the call and set my back against the wall.

I was alone, In Venice, with Antonio's parents and his judgmental family. I was alone with Antonio and his alluring self.

Shit.
- - -
I walked down a hall, I felt small and alone. My mom was the only person who kept me feeling safe, and now she was gone. I turned a corner and walked up to a set of guards in black suits, guarding a huge door. " Name?" One guard asked. " Thalia," I said. " Thalia Galonos." The guard nodded before stepping aside as the other guard opened the door. Goosebumps erupted onto every part of my body. I inhaled deeply as the smell of delicious food and bright, extraordinary lights blinded me. " Ms. Thalia Galonos!" The guard behind me announced. Everyone, and I mean everyone turned and looked at me. The lump in my throat thickened and moved up. I could feel my hands begin to shake, but I maintained myself. Suddenly, I met a pair of slim green eyes. It was as if everyone in the room had disappeared expect for Antonio and I. Antonio's jaw slightly dropped, his eyes brightened. A small smile crept across his face. Taken back was an understatement, Antonio was absolutely blown away by my attire and appearance just by the look in his eyes. I held back a smile as I made my way up to him, eyes followed me. I could see girls around me looking me up and down, whispering to others around them. I approached Antonio and stood in front of him. " You look absolutely beautiful," Antonio whispered to me. I smiled, " thank you." Antonio took his time and looked me up and down, I just bit my lip and smiled. " And to think this is all mine," Antonio said wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling my into a side hug. I chuckled softly, my smile immediately vanished when I saw Sophia in the crowd. Her eyes were dark, she looked beyond exhausted and worn out.

I pulled away from Antonio, he looked at me and frowned. " You okay?" I looked at him and nodded, Antonio stared at me, not believing me. Right as Antonio turned his head to see what I was staring at, Sophia looked down so her face wasn't seen. Antonio looked back at me, I looked at him. " I'm fine," I said. " You sure?" Antonio asked. " Yeah," I said. Antonio stared at me, I knew he didn't believe me. " Can I have everyone's attention?" A man spoke out over on the stage. Everyone turned, around and averted their attention to the man on the stage.