Chapter 34 - "You're Rory, right?"

Start from the beginning

Eunjoo spotted another person, laying still on the other side of the room. "Jongho?" With fast steps she reached his bed and caressed his hair, remembering how Yeosang had bragged about Jongho's good acting. Eunjoo thought back to the day Yeosang had told her, Jongho lived with his grandma, his parents dead. She couldn't help but wonder where said grandma was. Maybe she just had troubles getting here. 

"Oh Jongho.", Eunjoo whispered one last time, happy Jongho only had a few cuts and burns on his face. "You're not alone." 

On the other side of the hallway Rory stood, trying to process what was going on. Then a guy walked around the corner, a dog happily following him, and a parrot on his shoulder. The nurse immediately started scolding him. 

"Animals are not allowed in here." 

The guy avoided her eyes. "But they won't let me take them away. They were the ones who brought help and now they don't want to leave the victims alone." 

With a sigh the nurse nodded. "I think I know who the parrot belongs to. The dog, no idea." 

But the nurse didn't have to know. The dog already ran towards a certain room, the parrot flying after him. Together they stormed into the room and while the parrot sat down on Hongjoong's head, the dog jumped onto San's bed, scaring both their families. 

San's younger sister screamed and held onto her parents while Hongjoong's parents stared at the parrot in shock. The guy, who was supposed to look after them, ran into the room and smiled at the families in embarrassment. 

"Uhm, these are the animals that saved your boys' lives. Kinda. So, uhm, have fun." With these words he ran out of the room, leaving the animals inside. If they were so eager to stay with them, he wouldn't complain. 

The guy ran past Rory who had watched this happen. Confused she looked around, trying to see if anyone had an idea what the hell just happened. The hallway got emptier and Rory saw a lonely woman sitting at the end, waiting for a doctor. A tissue was in her hands, already completely wet. Rory wanted to go to her, comfort her, but stopped when she heard a familiar name. 

"Your son, Seonghwa is completely fine. At least he will be. We managed to get the water out of his lungs and he will wake up soon."

Seonghwa's father spoke up. "What about the others? Will they make it?" 

The doctor sighed. "One of them is still getting operated. Mr. Jung had the worst injuries of them all. But the chance of survival is very high. Is there any way to contact his parents? Relatives?" 

Seonghwa's father sighed and Rory tried to not seem like she was obviously eavesdropping. "Wooyoung's parents are never here. Work keeps them away but I'm sure they're coming in a few hours."

The doctor thanked them and before he could turn and run directly into Rory she quickly acted as if she was just passing by. Now making her way towards the still crying woman she pulled out a dry tissue and silently handed it to her, making her look up. 

"Thanks.", she whispered, her voice hoarse thanks to crying. Then she looked once more at Rory. "You're Rory, right?" 

Rory nodded, scared of what was about to come. The woman smiled. "I remember seeing you play. Mingi always told me about how much he'd like to be friends with you but he was always too shy to approach people." 

"Are you his mother? Ms. Song?" 

The woman shook her head. "Aunt. My sister died at his birth and his father left her even before it was revealed that she was pregnant."