The Escapist

The little bits of the sun were brought in once again by the pull of both his large curtains.

It shone on his face, making his paleness all the more noticeable. It didn't take much of an observer to see he hated the light.

Etch shot up, sitting on his luxuriously large bed. He tried to block the light upon his skin, and threw himself down on the bed like he would do every morning, flinging the covers back over himself.

"I'm not getting up," said the Prince. His hair was ruffled and out of place, not like he would normally be seen around the Silver Cathedral.

"My lord, you're to get up. Your father wants to see you now. And I am not going upstairs to get shouted at for not getting you to do something that you could get over with quickly."

He groaned, sounding as if he cried for some moments; not feeling the pull of life take him or wanting to move.

The male Spell-caster who was on royal duty today turned his head to the prince's cupboard when a rattling emerged from inside. He looked stunned, not sure what to say, flicking his eyes back and forth between where it came from and the bed.

The prince answered before the servant even spoke.

"It's just my alarm," he said, peeking his head out of the sheets quickly.

"Then why is it shut up inside your cupboard?" The Spell-caster went to fetch it as it continued to go, but not at regular intervals as an alarm would normally do. Then, it suddenly stopped; him being only some steps away from the door.

"No," shouted the prince, ignoring the question. There was an immense amount of concern that jumped into his voice, making him sound sharp and loud. "Please. Just leave it. I like it in there."

The man looked to the cupboard once more when the prince exited the bed. "I'm up, look. Just go tell my father I will be down in some minutes."

The man noticed the paleness on prince Etch's face and looked concerned now. "Are you okay my lord?" said the young man on royal duty. "You look as if all the colour has been drained out of you."

"I'm fine, really. Just a little tired still. I'll just make sure I take a nap later on. I'll be fine."

The man continued to look at the prince as he got dressed and moved away from the cupboard. The sound went off again inside, only it was more vicious, and much, much longer. He still continued to walk away, but looked back to it before he got near the front door.

"Just go already," yelled the prince, "I'll sort it out," calming his voice down to a reasonable level. The man flinched at the screaming aimed at him as Etch got his shirt on and ran off, closing the large two wooden silver doors that were already open.

Prince Etch was nearly ready.

He needed to put his boots on, but instead of doing so he went to his bed and sat on it, putting his hands on his head, sighing. It seemed he looked to the floor, but didn't pay any attention to the stone slabs that made it up, or the great emerald rug that ran through the half of the room with his bed on. The other half was just stone, where his clothes and possessions laid; his wardrobe.

He heard the rattling finally stop inside the wardrobe now. It had gone on for nearly a minute this time, but didn't look at the cupboard. Instead, he got up and went over to it, looking at it as he did so.

Moving slowly to the noise, Etch heard the clang of metal rattle against the stone floor. Inside was quite dark, but he seemed to know where it was as he picked it up straight away

Etch grabbed this small looking trinket. It looked much like a handheld cage. A cage that could fit into an Astorian's single palm. And inside was a single, small creature: A grey, bluish creature that was well known on Astora for all the wrong reasons.

By now, this small being was yelling in some fast gibberish language he did not understand. He just responded by shaking his head, following a large smile—all before he shook the cage above his head. Vigorously.

There were sprinkles of dust. Of silver dust that seemed to be ignited by little rays shooting through his window, making it look mystically breathtaking beyond any understood words known to humanoids.

He closed his eyes as the dust glowed when it hit his head. His deep breaths got lessened the longer he shook the small cage with the creature inside.

Then, he opened his eyelids. His eyes looked relaxed, and taking a deep breath he seemedcontent—once more.