Disconnected Paths

Eleanor, Christian and Miyah ran for nearly thirty minutes down the path at the back of the village before slowing down. Nobody was nearby. The intense exercise made them more aware of everything around.

Small clumps of leaves sat on the path here and there, with their yellow and red colours in different tones, but with much more generous shades of brown fallen life.

"If we were in a children's story this wouldn't be so grim. And full of death, and misery," said Christian as his sister crushed him with her two arms.

"Not all children's stories are like living on Pixie Dust," replied Eleanor.

"We've been walking around for too long now," said Christian dragging his feet, trying to ignore what his friend just said. "Think it's time to rest." Before an answer was even given he stopped walking after speaking and gave a long deep breath, as if to release something built up inside.

"Can't argue there," replied Eleanor, looking at Miyah with tears streaking down her face, though staying very quiet whilst doing it.

They stopped and sat on a large rock that looked much more comfortable than it felt. It was near a natural path they had been taking all this time, made by the growing number of feet that took it in the past.

Eleanor looked as if she was in a huff. Though she didn't act like it when it came to talking and interacting with her buddy for some time. Yet after they both stopped talking of this unfortunate outcome, she put both hands on her face, covering it, hoping her friend wouldn't see.

Christian then noticed she shook, and made noises along with it that saddened the night. "Oh, Eleanor. Please don't cry."

"I've lost my family and home," said Eleanor. "I never knew it would be taken away like this, and to good people like us. The Edeolon gods sure have a funny sense of humour."

"More like a sick one," said Christian, agreeing and seeing the two people he cared the most about upset.

Eleanor wiped away her tears and turned to look at her friend. "I think it would be a good idea to go to Sunndira. There are passers by there that are supposed to know where the Silver Cathedral is. Or so I've heard. We have to warn them of what is happening, of what is coming. We can't let more families be punished because they didn't know."

"You're right, as usual, and with you I know we'll find the place at least."

You see, Eleanor was a finder. That was her gift, her hobby. She loved finding the lost and placing it in its rightful place. Nothing gave this child more pleasure in the world.

Now Christian wasn't a finder. He was a puzzle solver, and loved everything and anything that was complex. Anything that needed to be solved, worked out or decrypted. Much like his good friend, he couldn't imagine doing anything else so much.

Their passions bought their talent over the years, and they were both very aware of it.

"Then it's settled. We'll continue onto Sunndira city," said the boy.

"Yeah, right after the feeling in my foot comes back. It's got god dam numb from me sitting on it. Pins and needles, here I come."

Christian chuckled after hearing this, and paid attention to her legs that she knelt on upon the rock.

Eleanor stretched her bottom two limbs before allowing them to touch the floor again, ready for the path ahead.

They set off when they were ready some minutes later, when their feet felt less heavy and they could think about the long journey ahead again without wanting to cry.