Chapter 13- Authority

Granville Ohio

"Anything new?" Samantha Hicks asked as she set down her coat.
The boy shook his head, "Nothing." He sighed, "Are you sure you checked that old building good enough?" He asked.
Hicks gave him an unamused face, "Daniel." She said, "I told you, me and Olly checked everywhere. All we saw was a stupid dog."
Dan quirked an eyebrow, "Maybe it was the kidnappers dog, sent out to distract you." He said.
Samantha laughed, "Your ridiculous." She said.
Suddenly the doors to the police department swung open. The hinged clanged against themselves, as a troop of people with guns bursted through.
Hicks gasped, yanking her gun out of her holster. She positioned it on them, and started walking backwards.
"Samantha Hicks." A voice said, before a figure emerged from the door. His suit was clean and his head held high.
Hicks pointed her gun at him, a glare on her face, "Alister" she spat.
"How lovely it is to see you here." He smirked, his arms were open.
"What do you want," she said slowly, not moving her eyes, or the gun.
His smirk dropped, "You no longer will be needing to work on a case. We're taking it from here." He said firmly.
As soon as the words left his mouth, the men around Hicks began to open drawers and throw out files.
Samantha shoved her gun into the holster and ran to one of the men.
"Stop!" She yelled, trying to push him away from the drawer.
"Hicks." Alister called from behind her.
She turned around, "What?! What is it Alister." She stomped towards him, "You've come to take another one of my cases. Again!" She yelled.
He held his head high.
"What case are you taking this time?" Hicks asked, "Wait wait. Let me guess. It's the missing kids again isn't it? It's always the missing kids."
Alister smirked, watching as Hicks slowly got more and more angry.
"What are you doing to those kids? I know you have them." She yelled.
He bent down so he was closer to her face, "It's none of your concern." He snapped.
Slowly his men started filing out of the room, carrying random papers and even items.
"No!" She yelled heading towards them, "This is confidential stuff!", but it was to late, they already left.
"Goodbye Samantha." Alister murmured, "I'll be seeing you, very soon."
He stated before slamming the door.
Hicks stood there in defeat. The whole office was in shreds.
Daniel sighed, bending down and beginning to pick up papers.
"Why do you let them do that?" Dan asked.
Hicks shook her head, "Trust me, I don't let them. They just have 'Authority'." She said.

-

"What do we do now?" Ella asked, as they broke out of the hug.
The sun was still down, and the stars were barely noticeable.
     "Well for one, I'm starving" Antony sighed, "And," he paused, "I see a burger joint just down the road."
      They all looked at each other, like they were deciding if that was a good idea.
      Freddy sighed, "Screw it." He said, "I could go for a burger." He made a fake smile.

    "Just fries for me" Ella smiled at the waiter.
He nodded, writing it down, before walking away.
     Freddy brough his thumb up to Ellas cheek. He wiped away some of the blood that was left on the cuts.
       "Thanks" Ella murmured, looking down.
      The group sat there, staring at their laps.
Venus finally broke the silence, "What are we going to do?" She asked.
     They all sighed.
"Well." Antony spoke up, "We can't go home." He stated, "They would go there to look for us first."
        "Well if we can't go home, then what are we supposed to do?" Venus asked.
    Freddy crossed his arms, "We'll figure something out." He said confidently, "I'm sure of it."
     Ella fiddled with her fingers as they all went into silence again, "So, do you guys wanna explain how you got us out?" She asked.
   Antony shot his hand up in the air, like a child in 3rd grade. A huge smile was across his face as he looked over at Venus.
      Venus laughed, "Okay, Antony go ahead" she ushered.
      "Okay" he breathed, "So, I was sitting in my cell, or room, or whatever it is. I was bored out of my mind, and then that's when I heard Ella screaming." Ella shifted uncomfortably in her seat as Antony continued, "And then all of the sudden the door to my cell flung open, and Venus was standing there, and she said 'Hurry up Ella's in trouble'. So we rushed to you guys, and then we used our powers to open the door. Then I was like 'That's right bitches!!'" Antony took a huge breathe, "and then we all escaped" he smiled.
Freddy frowned, "That still doesn't explain how you guys got your powers back though." He stated.
Venus shrugged, "I don't know, I just felt myself break through as soon as I heard Ella screaming." She said looking down.
"This all doesn't make sense." Antony crossed his arms, his mood suddenly changed, "I mean. What is Granville industries?"
Ella shook her head, "I don't know. That guy, Alister, he was angry because I managed to break through. He was willing to kill Freddy." She wined.
Freddy put his hand on her arm, comfortingly.
"Wait." Antony said, "Remember that girl?" He asked.
The group waited for him to continue.
"What was her name" he rubbed his head, "Oh! Daphne."
Freddy nodded.
"On her papers, it said she had hydrokenetic powers. They said they injected her with something..." He leaned closer, his voice got lower, "Something that changed her. Just like us." The suspension was building, as the whole group suddenly realized what Antony was about to say...
"...What if we're just one big experiment."
Bang!
The whole group jumped in there seats as the waiter set down food.
Ella looked up at Freddy when she realized she was hugging his arm. He smiled at her as she scooted away, adjusting her outfit.
"Three burger combos and One order of large fries." The waiter said, before walking away.
"Jesus Christ." Antony said running his hands over his face.
Venus sighed, eating a fry off of her tray, "Okay, so what if we are an experiment. What then?" She asked.
Antony shrugged, "Then we need to get as far away from Ohio as possible." He said taking a bite of his burger.
"Ella." Freddy said, "You need to eat more than just fries"
"Freddy I'm fine." She sighed as she watched him begin to cut his burger in half.
He passed her the other half of his own forcing her to take it.
"Shit." Antony cursed, setting down his burger, "Shit shit shit" he kept murmuring. His hands were patting all over his jeans as if he was looking for something.
"Antony?" Freddy asked, "You good?"
Antony shook his head as his eyes widened, "You guys don't happen to have money, do you?" He asked.
Freddys eyes also widened, "They took our wallets." He stated.
"Yeah!" Antony whisper-yelled, "And we just ordered like thirty bucks worth of food!"
Venus rolled her eyes, "Boys, boys." She said, "It's fine, we'll just have to not pay."
Freddy frowned, "V! That's stealing" he whispered.
"Really?" She asked sarcastically, "I had no idea."
"Venus is right" Ella said, watching the boys with an amused face, "Guess we'll just have to leave without paying."
"Oh my god" Freddy groaned leaning back in the booth.
Ella chuckled, "Freddy, You weren't even this worried when there was a gun to your head."
He shook his head, "That's different." He sighed.
Venus shook her head smiling at Antony. He pushed his tray away from him, and then looked at Venus.
Antony frowned at her, "Not funny Venus, we're supposed to be superhero's. Not thief's."
"It's funny." She bursted out laughing, "Oh it's so very funny. You should've seen your face" She kept laughing.
Suddenly the lights flickered, making Venus stop laughing as she stared at the ceiling.
Then she heard laughing, and turned her head to Freddy, whom was now in tears.
"No." She pointed a finger, "That's not funny. No using powers" she accused.
"Oh but 'you should've seen your face" he mocked, as Antony laughed even harder.
Ella shook her head, staring at Venus, "they're children" Ella said.

-