𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟗 - 𝒃𝒂𝒈𝒉𝒓𝒂

It was like Aleksander was scared she would disappear if he left her sight

It was like Aleksander was scared she would disappear if he left her sight. Word had already gotten around that the sun summoner had been sharing the Darklings chambers, and well everyone could see how smitten he had become.

Still, the shock factor of seeing a white and gold kefta caused every Grisha in the dining hall to stare at breakfast the next morning. Aurora was quickly surrounded by a few of the friends she had made.

But breakfast came to an end and Aleksander left the hall in such sync and grace, with the grace of the royals.

The rumours that had been spread throughout the Little Place were intense for lack of a better word. Most revolve around Aurora being an ex-lover or something similar, there were quite a few jealous people that insisted that she had slept her way into the General's heart.

Other rumours were quite varied, some claiming she was a witch, putting General Kirigan under some form of love spell. Another rumour was that she was actually a volcra, turned human. That was her favourite, based purely on creativity. How little they knew of their love.

As Aurora and Aleksander walked to her first lesson with Baghra, Aurora's nerves were skyrocketing. She had never met his parents, Caspain was an orphan, and from what the other Grisha stated Baghra was not an easy woman to please. And while Aurora liked this quality it was not the best thing to have in a mother-in-law.

So as she entered the hut, a wave of heat overtook her body.

"Where is the girl?" A voice called from across the room.

"She is here" Aleksander spoke first, guiding her to sit in front of a woman, seemingly in her sixties, although Aurora knew that to be a lie.

"So she is the girl you are so smitten with?"

"Yes, that would be me"

"And you're a sun summoner?" Her tone gave no indication into her thinking, she must have passed this onto Aleksander. You could never tell what that man was thinking.

"What level can you control your summing?"

Aleksander finally spoke up "She has a base level of control, now we are focusing on expanding her powers."

This answer seemed to please her. "Dismissed boy" The tone that took her voice did not match the smirk adorning her face. Aleksander, pricked about his mother's dismissal, tried to protest, but the look in her eyes told him he didn't stand a chance.

"He used to call for you in his sleep." That surprised Aurora, not the fact that Aleksander missed her or called her in his sleep. The fact that Baghra told her something so plainly and upfront. "He used to call and call for his El, I finally made him confused as to who you are".

The smile that Aurora was wearing was faulted at this. She had missed him. Baghra was a big reminder that she had missed out on so much of his life.

A distant look crossed Aurora's face, a small guarded smile, "We only got to share five years of marriage."

"Quite an impression you made on him, if it was only five years"

Aurora couldn't help her smile widening at that statement. "I'd hope so"

Baghra seemed to quell over that statement for a few minutes. Neither broke the content silence until Baghra spoke up after a few minutes. "You are good for him, you will make him good"

"I know."