Tired - Kyalin

Making it a modern AU where they still have bending anyway but it doesn't really matter

Lin rested her head against the wall, taking a deep breath. She was tired from her long day of paperwork, and couldn't wait to go home to her wife. Kya would probably come back an hour later, since her shift ended late, and Lin figured she would use that laps of time to get as much as she could done, but she was getting tired of it and ready to go home. It would be nice to be there before Kya, for once.

The chief didn't have time to stand up and get out of her office, her phone rang and she frowned when she recognized the hospital's number. "Hello?" she asked, immediately getting worried about her wife. The last time the hospital had called her, it was about Kya who got hurt when she got into a fight. "Lin! Hey, it's Misako!" a male voice said from the other end of the call. Misako was another healer who worked in the same department as Kya, and the Waterbender's best friend.

Lin frowned. "Hey. Is Kya okay?" she asked hurriedly. "Yes, she is, but she's also exhausted from so much healing and can barely stand, can you pick her up?" Lin smiled at the thought that her wife really did all she could for people, even if it took her all of her strength. Kya was so selfless, and stubborn when it came to helping people in need, and it was one of the numerous things Lin loved about her.

"Yeah, sure, I'll be here in fifteen minutes, I was about to leave anyway," she said. She couldn't wait to see her wife, to see the cute pout on the older woman's face when Lin would try to put her to bed and she would just want to stay in the Earthbender's arms. "Alright, great. Thanks, Lin," Misako said. The Earthbender thanked him quickly for calling, and hung up. She took her coat from her desk and left her office, getting into her car to drive to the hospital.

*****

"Don't you dare tell her I'm the one who asked you to call her," Kya said, trying to sound threatening while she really could barely keep her eyes open. Her superiors always told her to heal less, to keep some strength, but she couldn't when she saw people suffering, people whom she could actually help. It wasn't like her. Misako laughed and rolled his eyes. "Sure," he said, walking back to his friend with a coffee in each hand. Kya thanked him shyly, and took a long sip. It felt good, but even a black coffee wasn't enough to beat her exhaustion.

"You shouldn't have spent so much time without taking a break," Misako said with a half grin that said 'I told you so' in all existing languages. Kya rolled her eyes, she knew she'd get a sermon from Lin at home, too. Though the Earthbender really wasn't the one who should be talking about putting too much energy into her work. "I know. I just can't turn my back on people," she answered, looking away. Misako smiled and shrugged. "I'm not asking you to. But please, for your wife's sake, next time make sure she won't have to carry you home because you can't even stand." Kya groaned, but didn't answer and simply drank her coffee.

Lin walked into the hospital a couple of minutes later, and immediately saw her wife sitting next to her friend, having coffee. "Hey," she said softly. She walked closer and pressed a kiss on top of Kya's head, getting a dork smile in response. The chief chuckled and sat down next to her wife' who immediately leaned her head against the younger woman's chest. "Hey. Want some coffee?" she asked tiredly. Lin nodded and took Kya's cup, taking a sip from it.

She turned to Misako and smiled at him. "Thanks for calling. I should take her home." Kya groaned and opened her eyes, taking the cup of coffee back. "I'm not a baby!" she protested weakly. Lin rolled her eyes and pressed a kiss on top of her wife's head, half laughing. "Is it going to be okay?" Misako asked. The Earthbender nodded and stood up, holding her hand out for Kya to take it. "Yeah, don't worry. We've been through worse. Have a good night," she said. The man waved back as Kya lazily got up and followed her wife.

The Waterbender had to lean on Lin to keep balance, she seemed even too tired to walk by herself. "Should I carry you or will you make it to the car?" her wife asked, grinning. Kya rolled her eyes and groaned, gripping the Earthbender's arm tighter. "Just keep walking."

Kya collapsed into the passenger seat of the car, and Lin smiled tenderly. "You shouldn't have worked so hard," she said, not in a reproaching tone but more in a proud one. She was extremely proud of her wife for helping people, for saving lives. "I know," Kya answered, yawning. Lin chuckled and turned the engine on. "Let's get you to bed."

By the time they reached their apartment, Kya was asleep and her wife couldn't be convinced to wake her up. The Earthbender carried her up the stairs as gently as possible, bending the key into the lock to open the door. She didn't close it behind her and walked into their room, laying Kya on the bed. The Waterbender didn't even wake up when Lin took her blue dress off to get her into an oversized sweatshirt to sleep.

Even if the Earthbender struggled, she managed to cover her wife with the blankets once she had dressed her, and she pressed a kiss on Kya's forehead. "Goodnight, love," she whispered.

This was short, I know, but why make it longer?

Sorry for the lack of activity, btw, but I've been working on something else... (And school takes most of my time, but at least there's only one month left to go)