Last Goodbye - the gaang and tears

Before you start reading, I just want to say I'm really, really sorry.

TW : character's death

They were all standing above the freshly dug grave, crying the last tears they had left. Zuko still didn't say anything, as Mai, Izumi and Ty-Lee were desperately trying to comfort him. But truly, they were as much of a crying mess as he was. Just like everyone else. The Fire Lord's pain was so intense everyone else around him could feel it, their hearts ached at the thought that their friend could be suffering so much. None of them could believe that he was gone.

To everyone's biggest surprise, apart from Zuko of course, Toph was the one sobbing the most. She had tried to hide it from her daughters and her friends, but she simply failed. She couldn't believe it. He was gone, for real. That man who first made her believe in herself and in the kindness of humanity, who convinced her to form a family. He was gone.

Lin and Suyin didn't dare to disturb their mother, so they had backed up in their uncle Sokka's arms. The Water Tribe warrior didn't have that gigantic and contagious smile of his on, he was as devastated as everyone else. His eyes were red and puffy, he struggled to breath. Not one year ago, he was burying Suki and their unborn child, and now he was standing next to his grave. It was too much suffering for one man.

Kya, Tenzin and Bumi were standing slightly behind their parents, who were trying to support Zuko as much as they could, but none of them could really bring themselves to say anything. Aang had never cried so much, not even after he'd learnt that his entire people had been killed while he was sleeping in an iceberg. Katara's pain facing her mother's loss seemed insignificant compared to how they all felt now.

'Here lies Iroh,
Beloved father and uncle,
The best tea maker in the world.'

It was heartbreaking.

Zuko hadn't said anything since it had happened, since his uncle passed away in his sleep. His daughter had taken everything in charge to plan the funeral, giving the man she called her grandfather an honorable departure. He had been loved so much, he had given so much love. He deserved so much better. None of them was actually capable nor ready to say goodbye. It had been a small ceremony, just the people Iroh loved, the ones he would have liked to be here.

Just in front of the gravestone, they had placed a jasmine flower and his favorite kettle, honoring his passion. And leaning against the stone was a drawing of Iroh himself, playing with his son and nephew.

Zuko broke into sobs, and the others would've probably followed if they weren't all out of tears. He hugged his wife and his daughter tightly. Izumi reminded him so much of Iroh sometimes, he even thought he saw his uncle's wisdom, kindness and love for tea in his daughter's eyes. The Fire Lord took a sharp breath and wiped his tears away. He had to get himself back together, he owed Iroh that. That and so much more.

Zuko kneeled next to the gravestone, rubbing it with his fingers. He had managed to control his sobs, but tears were still pouring from his eyes. And so he started humming that song he had heard so many times, sang by Iroh himself. And everyone joined him, giving the best man they'd all ever known a last goodbye.

Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam

Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Come marching home

Ash in the snow
Falling so slow
Like fragile broken hearts with no place to go

Little soldier boy
Taken from home
Forced to fight a war
That was not his own

Little soldier boy
Cold and alone
Brave soldier boy
Never made it home

Leaves from the vine
Changing so slow
Like empty fallen souls
Looking for a home

Little soldier boy
Thought he could soar
Brave soldier boy
Fallen in the war

My little soldier boy
I need you home
Brave soldier boy
Come marching home.

All of the adults gathered in a hug, as their children gave them some space. After a long moment wiping their tears away, they all turned to the grave and bent all together, giving the man who never stopped believing in them, and helping everyone he could, a last goodbye, before turning around and walking away, all holding hands as they cried the rare tears they had left. Uncle Iroh would stay in their memory and their hearts, forever.

And I'm sorry 😭 I truly am
I have no idea if this is even good or whatever, but I cried while writing it ✌️

Again, I'm sorry