Stars - Kyalin

Lin's 18, Kya's 19 (yes I know, not the real age difference but I didn't want to make them older than that)

also im totally reinventing constellations but that's okay

Lin turned in her sleep, battling against her own dreams. She kept having the same one, over and over, since her first intervention on the field as a police officer, she had had those. She remembered the victims' terrified faces, their tears as even Toph couldn't save them all... If she had known being in the police meant this, she would've never gotten engaged in the police. She wanted to help people more than anything else in the world, but if it meant having to face those atrocities, she wasn't sure she had the strength to.

The Earthbender's gaze slipped to Kya, sleeping next to her. Her best friend had invited her over after Lin had a long week, and all she could do to thank the healer was act like an asshole to her. She could never express how grateful she felt for having her best friend, but the least she could have done was behave well. She wasn't even capable of doing that.

Lin buried her face in her hands, she wanted to hide from everyone and never come back, stay alone for the rest of her life. She hated feeling so bad, feeling like she wasn't good enough for anyone. A silent sob came out of her mouth, but it was enough to wake Kya up. The healer laid her hand on her best friend's shoulder as she woke up, showing Lin that she was there. "What's going on?" she asked softly and in a sleepy voice. Lin rubbed her eyes, trying to make the tears disappear. It was a full moon, and Kya liked to sleep with the curtains opened so she could feel the it. She always said it calmed her, helped her to sleep. Lin assumed it was a Waterbender thing, she could never sleep with the curtains open but didn't say anything. Her best friend was kind enough to let her sleep over, she wasn't going to be needy in addition.

"Lin, talk to me. You've been acting weird for a few weeks," Kya said tiredly. Lin turned to face her, and she was once more caught staring straight (or not...) into her best friend's blue eyes, quickly glancing at her lips too, a couple of times. It had happened quite a lot those times, and was one of the reasons why she was acting so weird. She didn't feel as comfortable as she used to around her best friend, but she couldn't figure out why. "Sorry," she whispered. She really felt bad for acting like such an asshole to her best friend, who she knew was willing to give her everything. Oh, how much she didn't deserve Kya.

Kya sighed, and stood up to walk to the window, leaning on it. "Come here. I know how to make you feel better," she whispered with a smile. Lin groaned but obeyed, she owed the healer at least that. Kya smirked and jumped from the window, using the water from a fountain below to cushion her fall. Lin's eyes widened and she stared at her best friend below, nervous. "What are you doing?" she asked in a whisper. Kya smirked and waved at her, praying for the Earthbender to follow her. "Come on, Linny! trust me!" Lin rolled her eyes and jumped too, smiling against her will when her friend's water wrapped around her body softly, tickling her, and without even wetting her.

"Where are you taking me?" she whispered when Kya took her arm and dragged her away from the main building of the temple. "Kya, your parents will kill us if they see us!" The Waterbender laughed silently and kept running. "I'm nineteen, silly. What could they do? Besides, we're not going far," she explained without turning around to look at her best friend. Everything was perfect to Lin, the soft feeling of Kya's hand on her arm, dragging her away to do whatever she wanted to do, the sight of the moon reflecting on that beautiful Waterbender's skin and blue eyes... Lin wouldn't have traded this feeling for anything in the world.

Kya stopped by a small roofless cabin made of wood, that Lin had never seen in spending half of her life on that island. The Waterbender dragged her inside and made her sit down on a fluffy mattress, covered in pillows and blankets. She pointed at the sky and a smile drew on her face when she saw Lin's amazed face. "My dad built this when I was seven, so I could be cozy while watching the stars," she explained softly, playing with a strand of Lin's hair. "It's... it's beautiful," the Earthbender whispered. Kya smiled and made her lay down, covering her with a blanket to keep her warm. She then took place in Lin's arms, resting her head on the Earthbender's chest and holding her arm. "I know," she answered, looking at her best friend. She was shining in the moonlight, and Kya had never been so in love.

They stayed silent, watching the stars, rocked by the sound of the waves crushing on the island's shore. Lin intertwined their fingers as her other hand stroked Kya's hair, but she still didn't take her eyes off the constellations. Kya smiled and looked at her, happy to see that Lin seemed to be doing better already. "Do you know about constellations?" she asked softly. The Earthbender shook her head and looked at her best friend, she was once more amazed by Kya's beauty. The Waterbender seemed so pure, almost like an angel, as she rested under the full moon light. "Tell me," Lin whispered. She really didn't care about the constellations, but Kya's voice was the best melody to her ears.

The healer smiled and pointed at some stars above their heads. "This is Avatar Wan. He was the first avatar, some say it's even him who created the stars," Kya whispered. She looked at Lin, who chuckled. "That... doesn't make any sense," she said. Her best friend smiled and nodded. "I know, right? Aunt Suki used to tell me everything about the stars, she told me everything about the myths behind every constellation. You see that other one? The one that looks like a fox." Kya pointed at another group of stars, guiding Lin's face towards the right spot. "Yes, I see it. It's immense... It's so beautiful," she whispered. The healer smiled and nodded, rolling on her stomach so she could rest on her elbows and look at Lin.

"It's Kyoshi. Suki always told me that when they passed, the Kyoshi warriors arose by her side. That they're all here, as daughters of Avatar Kyoshi and her wife," she whispered. Lin stroked Kya's cheek as she swallowed her tears. "Do you think it's true? That... she's up there too?" the Earthbender asked in a painful whisper. Suki used to be their game partner, the one adult they would always want to play with as children, their confident as teenagers. It had always been the three of them, and they missed her so much. Kya's eyes filled with tears, and one of them rolled down her cheek to crush on the pillow. "I don't know. But I hope that wherever she is... she's happy."

The healer sobbed silently, and Lin intertwined their fingers while her other hand wiped Kya's tears away softly. "She'd be so proud of the woman you became, Kya," the Earthbender whispered. The healer smiled sadly and stroked Lin's face with the back of her fingers. "You're so beautiful." Kya didn't even think about it before she said it, but she hadn't been able to contain herself. She had been in love with her best friend for years now, and it seemed like the perfect time to admit her feelings. She somehow found the strength to do it in the full moon, and in the stars. She was sure Suki was watching them from the stars, and that she was proud of them.

Lin swallowed a lump in her throat, and her hand slid behind the healer's neck to pull her face closer. Her heart missed a bit when Kya's gaze moved to her lips, and she pulled her even closer. "You're beautiful," Lin whispered. The healer smiled and kissed her softly, being careful to be as gentle as she could as she brushed the Earthbender's soft lips with her own.

*****

Five years later:

Kya and Lin were laying in the roofless cabin, curled up in each other's arms, watching the stars like they did every time one of them couldn't sleep. It reminded them of their first kiss, the first time they had admitted their feelings to each other. They had been together for five years already, but spent by each other's side, it seemed to be just a blink.

Kya was once more telling her fiancée about the constellations, and Lin listened carefully while staring at the healer's peaceful and happy face. She still couldn't believe she was going to be lucky enough to marry that beautiful woman laying down next to her. In her childhood and youth, she always claimed that she didn't want marriage, she didn't want to take an oath to anyone. But it was before she realized what true love and happiness were, before she started dating Kya.

Now, Lin was holding her fiancée in her arms as she listened to her talking about the stars, smiling at everything the healer said. One of her hand was playing with Kya's hair, and the other was laying on her neck, with her fingers brushing her fiancée's betrothal necklace. It couldn't have been any better.

I am currently wondering if this wasn't too soft? Well anyway hope you enjoyed and see you around! (I hope lol)