Chapter 9: Pretending

"We looked at each other a little too long to be "just friends"."

~The wedding~

*Sorry for the long update time, I had six hours of testing this week! Hope you all enjoy, and again, I highly suggest listening to the song!

——————————————————————————————————————————

"I'm her boyfriend. It's nice to meet you."

Liam smiles straight at Lewis, who's smile has faltered. I snap my head to look at Liam, my stomach a tangle of painful jerks and my head whirling. I couldn't have heard him right. This can't be happening right now. I feel like I'm going to throw up. I squeeze my eyes shut and take a few silent breaths before I open them again.

Nothing has changed.

Figures.

"Oh," Lewis starts but he quickly regains his composure. "I just didn't think Lily could ever get someone of your..." he searches for the right word. "Type." Liam's eyes narrow and he hugs me tighter, if that's even possible.

"No, what's surprising to me is that you ever got someone of her type." Liam emphasizes the word, spitting it out like venom and Lewis falters again.

"Enjoy the party." He mutters, his pride visibly bruised.

"Oh, we will."

Liam guides me away from him gently.

I still haven't said one word. I'm in full-on panic mode, my head spraying out thoughts faster than bullets. Why would he say that? What is happening? Liam doesn't like me. He doesn't. Does he? I'm freaking out. He can't, I remind myself, almost like I'm trying to force the thought into anyone, someone. I can't ever let myself go there. But it's too late.

We're in a corner of the room, covered by a Japanese partition. I quickly step out of his grasp once we're out of view. He's too caught between angry and apologetic to notice.

"I'm so sorry, Lily, but I just couldn't stand there and let him talk to you like that." He's running his hands through his hair, undoing the gel and releasing his curls.

"Oh my god, oh my god." I mutter, walking in circles, my hands covering my face. His face turns at once into concern, the same face from the wedding.

"Lily, let's leave, I'm so sorry but you can call Elaine and-shit I can't believe I did this to you." I stop my pacing and remove my hands from my face, staring straight at him.

"No, no, I'm fine."

"No you're not."

"No I'm not. I'm so confused right now, but that's not important. Right now, we have to focus on getting through this party and acting like a freaking couple." He winces.

The butterflies are clearly excited at this prospect but I'm worried. Because I'm starting to think I can't pretend I don't notice Liam's confusing actions anymore.

The tiniest part of the back of my brain asks me if this could possibly be such a bad thing. I'll never be able to have Liam, not in the way my heart so desperately needs, but maybe, just maybe, for one night I could. Or I could pretend to.

I'm good at pretending.

I take a deep breath and look straight at Liam.

"Okay, this is fine. Here's the game plan. We will go back out there, we'll eat and we'll have fun, because that's the only thing I can do right now. We don't have to...do anything except eat, dance and have as many drinks as I can." Liam's smile slowly spreads back onto his face as he sees I'm more relaxed, the panic having eased away.