Prologue

As he opened his eyes he noticed how the darkness around him was surrounded with fire and destruction. He could hear different kinds of sounds but they were too far away to really have meaning to him. A voice called out to him but he could not place who it was or what they wanted. For a brief moment he didn't even know who he was.
"Paul!" a female voice shouted, it was so much clearer now. He lifted his hand up to his head and he could feel the warm blood run down his face. He had to stand up and find out what was going on because he did not know why he was bleeding on the cold ground. He didn't remember what got him to this point.
"Paul! Get up!" the voice called again, he knew who was calling out to him yet he could not place her name. He just knew that she was special.
"Paladin," another female voice said as she looked down on him.
"What's happening?" he mumbled.
"One down, five to go," she said with the coldest pair of eyes he had ever seen, "goodbye Paul Kogane."
He saw how she lifted her spear and the panic hit him. He had to get up, he had to fight. He was Paul Kogane and he was fighting in a war. A big war. This woman above him was no friend.
He wanted to move but his body refused, he was paralyzed and couldn't stop her.
And so he watched the spear launch for his throat and he was helpless like a baby.
"No," he whispered, like it would save him. And then..