Chapter 18: The Four Mauraders

"T-Tess?" Aura whispered quietly. "D-do you m-m-mind e-explaining wh-what's going on?"

"Y-y-y-yeah," Tess whispered back.

We with the help of our rings, walked slowly and quietly out of the Shrieking Shack, and out of the Whomping Willow. We went a little far from the Whomping Willow tree so that it wouldn't attack us.

"Okay," Xenia said, her breath shaking. "What the hell is going on? And wh-what are we doing that's possibly dangerous?"

"Everything," Tess answered, sitting down on the grass. We sat with her.

"That," Tess began, "you really needed to hear. And...I have some of the missing pieces. Ask any questions you want. I'll answer them."

We all thought for a minute.

"What the hell was Professor Lupin talking about?" I asked. "About...a map, and how his nickname was Moony, and how he was friends with Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew?"

Tess smiled. "Now this... I like this part. Um...it started off in September. 1971. Four boys met on the Hogwarts Express in their first year. Their names were Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black, and James Potter."

"So..." Xenia said, "our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Ron Weasley's family rat, the first prisoner to escape Azkaban, and Harry Potter's father?"

"Yeah, exactly," Tess continued. "They met, and became the best of friends. They were all sorted into Gryffindor. I don't know what year they did this, but they created this thing. Called the Marauder's Map. It's a map of Hogwarts. It shows you everything and everyone and secret passageways. Things like that."

"Wh..." Aura said. "Harry. A-and Lupin. They mentioned an Invisibility Cloak?"

"Yeah. James had an Invisibility Cloak that got passed down his family."

"But...Moony?" I asked.

"Yeah. Um...Remus, Peter, Sirius, and James gave each other nicknames. Remus was Moony, Peter was Wormtail, Sirius was Padfoot, and James was Prongs. They, uh, got the nicknames because...well...they found out Remus was a werewolf. So, Moony. It fits, right? Um...in their fifth year, Peter, Sirius, and James became unregistered Anamagi. Because of Remus. When Remus would change during the full moon they couldn't help him as humans, so they helped him out as animals. But...Peter can turn into a rat, Sirius a black dog, and James a stag. Wormtail. Rat's tails kinda look like worms. Padfoot. Have you seen a dog's foot? So cute! Um," we all sorta giggled a little, "Prongs. ...that one I'm not actually sure about. Um... I don't know. It just...it just sounds deer-y. Um... So yeah. Any other questions?"

"A few," Aura said. "Um...explain this whole...Professor Trelawney's prediction...Marauder thing."

"Well...that's...yeah, that's the part I don't like. You see...Peter...he was...he was afraid. Of You-Know-Who. Like...like all of us. Or...at least most of us."

"Oh, no, my mother's freaking scared of him," Morana said. "Yeah. She supports him, but she's afraid to do even the slightest thing wrong because...she doesn't wanna...get punished for it."

"Hm, same," Aura said. "Well...my...dad..."

"I think you'd have to be an idiot or a baby to not be scared of him," Xenia said.

"Anyway," Tess continued, "um...You-Know-Who...he was looking for Harry...for...I...I actually don't know why. That part's been blocked off. But...Peter believed that they wouldn't do anything by opposing You-Know-Who. So he became a spy. Then they gave him the Dark Mark. Then...I-I-I still d-don't know... But the reason for Him wanting Harry happened. And the Potters went into hiding. And Peter...well...he told You-Know-Who where James, Lily, and Harry were. Then...after...you know...Sirius came and was angry. He was gonna kill Peter. And Peter...Peter killed twelve Muggles. And then his finger got cut off somehow... Either he did it, or Sirius did, but... Everyone thought that Sirius had killed those Muggles. And Peter. And...the rest is history..."

We were all silent.

"Why..." Xenia began, "why did he decide to go to the Weasleys of all people?"

"No idea," Tess shrugged.

"Why is this a dangerous task that we have to do?" Aura asked.

"Well... Destiny is a funny thing. No matter what happens your story will always end the same way. Your story will have all of the pieces that it's meant to have. But it might not always be in the right order. If we don't stop Peter Pettigrew tonight...he's gonna raise You-Know-Who. But if we at least stop him...it won't happen for a few more years. If he does escape...You-Know-Who will be raised by the end of next year."

We were all silent again.

"Oh," I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE FOUR MARAUDERS~~~~~~~~~