Chapter 2: The Escape Of Sirius Black (And My Mad Sister)

Mom and Mels never answered me. I wasn't sure why. I mean it was just a simple question. They wouldn't let prisoners out unless their time was done, which I didn't believe it was because they literally killed people.

But that didn't entirely matter. But this does.

Around August 1st, Greengrass came into my room to wake me up at noon-ish, and she gave me the Daily Prophet. I took the newspaper and Greengrass walked out of my room. I looked at the front page and saw a picture of a man with black hair. I read the title and the article. The man was Sirius Black, Aura and Draco's mom's cousin.

The article said that twelve years ago Sirius Black killed about twelve Muggles and one of his old school friends, Peter Pettigrew. Black was put into Azkaban and stayed there.

Until now.

The article said that Black somehow escaped Azkaban, one thing that people have tried to do...but never acually did. When I wasn't feeling lazy anymore I got up out of bed and went across the hall into Melissa's room. I slammed Melissa's door shut once I went in her room.

"It's noon-thirty," Melissa whined. "Wake me up when it's time for dinner."

"Melissa," I said.

Melissa sat up and looked at me. "What?"

"Why didn't you tell me that Sirius Black escaped Azkaban?" I asked. "Why did Fudge let you out of Azkaban? Why couldn't I see my sister for four years?" I started getting tears in my eyes. "Why did you kill those Muggles? Torture them? Force them to do things? If you didn't do it then you would have lived a normal teenage life, and I wouldn't grow up thinking 'When will my mommy and sister come back home?'. I always wondered when you were coming home. I never grew up with a big sister that would help me if anybody was being mean to me. I NEVER GREW UP WITH A SISTER THAT COULD HELP ME AT ALL!" Tears were dripping down my face. "I never had anybody to tell me how to prepare for Hogwarts like a big sibling would. I never had a sister to help me get the courage to tell somebody...to tell somebody...how much I cared for them."

Melissa got out of her bed, walked over to me, and hugged me. I could feel tears going on my head from Melissa, but I didn't care. I was hugging my sister, which was nice. "I'm sorry, Morana," Melissa told me. "I'm sorry for everything that I did wrong...and what I didn't do. I never should've used the three Unforgivable Curses on those Muggles. I used those curses on some people that were my age at the time. I tortured them, probably put them in a mental hospital. And I killed...I killed adults. I killed teenagers. But do you know the worst of it?" Melissa paused. "I killed kids that were your age. And Michael's age. I remember hearing a little boy behind me ask me, 'What did you do to my mommy?'. I turned around...and...I used the killing curse on him." Melissa started to cry a little more. "He was only your age, Morana. He was only nine... I regret the decision to listen to our mother every day... But that's in the past now." Melissa let go of me and smiled, the smile not reaching her eyes even the slightest.

"Do you know what else I had to without a mom or older sister?" I asked.

"No," Melissa shook her head.

I looked at her as if she should know. She looked confused for a second, then her eyes widened a little bit more.

"Oh," Melissa mouthed.

We stood in awkward silence for a few seconds.

"Are you...?" Melissa hesitated.

"I don't care what the question is," I interrupted, "the answer is no."

"Well, it's just...you seem a little more emotional, maybe hormonal, than the last time I saw you. So are you -"

"Finding blood in my underwear?" I finished. "I don't want to answer your question until you answer all of my questions."