71

"If it's not too much, can you give me a hug, little puppy?"

She hesitated for a moment and look anywhere except her dad's direction. It's too soon for her to do it but she doesn't know how to refuse. Being away for how many years even avoiding contact then suddenly seeing each other and hugging is so awkward, she can't even imagine herself doing so.

"It's okay, you don't have to force yourself. I totally understand, Jihyo. As long as you're back, I'm good."

"..."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to. What's there to be sorry about, my child?"

"I..."

She lowers her head.  There's a lot of words she could've told her father but couldn't. She remains quiet next to him as he watches his other daughters bickering with each other.

"Your sisters play along well. I oftentimes watched them and they always look happy. I'm really glad that all of you are growing up well but sometimes I have these selfish thoughts in my head too."

She raised her head to look at her father.

"Thoughts like... why are they growing up fast? When did they become this independent? How did they accomplish this and that without asking for help?"

"Because you raised everyone so well, that's why."

"Did I? I shouldn't have raised you all too well. Although I'm glad you're all doing good on your own it also makes me lonely these days."

"Why?"

"Just because (sigh) don't mind it, it's probably just an old man's sentiment."

"Don't be lonely. If anything, call Dahyun to make you laugh. She's really good at it, you know?"

"But I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"Did you forget? You are my partner."

She bit her lips as thoughts from her younger days flashes right through her. It's her seventh birthday and all her sisters and their mom are having fun. Only her father is sitting alone in the corner, watching them fondly. 

"Dad, why aren't you playing with them?"

"I'm not good at playing games so I'll just watch them from here."

"It's okay even if you're not good at playing games. You can still have fun, daddy."