Part 26

Stella found herself at the edge of the tranquil lake, tears mingling with the water as she dipped her feet in. The soft breeze brushed against her skin, offering a sense of solace amidst her inner turmoil. The weight on her heart was unbearable, and she questioned the storm of emotions raging within her. Why did she keep hoping for something from Mike, even when he had never shown any sign of feeling the same? He'd never confessed to her, yet her heart remained tangled in his web. Despite her determination to resent Mike, her love for him remained unyielding, preventing her from breaking free. And yet, he had never acknowledged her in front of others, even making her feel embarrassed.

Suddenly, a powerful arm enveloped her, warm breath caressing her neck. Instead of pulling away, she found herself holding onto his hand, leaning into the shelter of his shoulder. It was a fleeting moment of comfort that she had secretly yearned for, her racing thoughts beginning to find stillness. This moment was what she had wished for, through the long hours of her inner struggle. Yet, her presence hadn't gone unnoticed by Mike, who softly uttered her name. She recognized his voice immediately.

As she tried to extricate herself from his embrace, Mike's voice whispered close to her ear, "Stella, please, just let it be."

Her resistance faltered the urge to argue with him fading away. Her strength to fight had waned.

"Curious about whose name belongs on that wall?"

Stella remained silent.

"Yours, Stella."

She closed her eyes, tears slipping down her cheeks, as though they had been waiting for this moment of release. Was this real or another one of Mike's attempts to humiliate her? She wouldn't let him shatter her heart in front of everyone.

Before she could respond, Mike interjected, "Shh, my turn isn't over yet."

He began, "I know I've brought turmoil into your life, but you're also the reason I've transformed from a heartless individual into someone whose heart beats only for you. I've tried every conceivable way to erase you from my mind and heart, yet every effort has only intensified the ache. From the instant I laid eyes on you, I was captivated. There hasn't been a single day when thoughts of you haven't consumed me. When I first visited your home, I felt an unexpected thrill, an eagerness to meet you that took me by surprise. I just wanted to explain the misunderstanding about the incident in the school bathroom, but your assumptions left me frustrated. I never wanted you to think poorly of me, despite my facade of indifference. My feelings were entirely different, emotions I struggled to comprehend. Yet, when I compare the Mike of then to the Mike of now, the transformation is stark. What I feel for you is new and unfamiliar, emotions I tried to suppress. Yes, I've wronged you in various ways, but Stella, I've never harmed your parents. I ate every sweet you brought to the party. When you were pushed into the pool, I nearly leapt in after you, only for Riana to reach you first. That day, the fear of almost losing you hit me like a ton of bricks. And that first kiss, Stella, it wasn't a mistake. It was real. I longed for that moment, and that day, I feared losing you forever. When you dismissed it as a mistake, my heart ached to hear you deny it. No, it wasn't a mistake. Despite my feelings, my primary concern was your happiness. I felt guilty for kissing you; why would you choose someone who's already caused chaos in your life? So, I resolved to distance myself from you. But when your mother asked me to ensure your safety on this outing, I couldn't decline."

Stella remained silent, her body almost frozen, the fluttering of butterflies her only movement. Was this reality, or just a fragment of her imagination?

Mike continued, "When you smile, my heart swells with joy. When you speak, I can't help but gaze at you, as if trying to capture every word. I orchestrated group activities just to keep you close, and to ensure your safety. I anticipated your anger, but I simply wanted you near. When someone leered at you in the hotel bathroom, my anger flared, a vestige of my past self. I wouldn't hesitate to make them regret their actions."

Slowly, Stella began to grasp that Mike had always been there for her, even when she reprimanded him.

"Last night, when you went missing, my heart nearly stopped in fear of losing you. You're more precious to me than anything else. And I want to confess, Stella, I love you. This isn't a falsehood. You've unveiled a part of me I never knew existed. These feelings for you are unique, impossible to find elsewhere."

Finally, Stella turned to Mike, her eyes brimming with tears, communicating what words couldn't express. Without wasting a second, she leaned in and kissed him fervently. Mike was taken aback, caught off guard by her boldness. They closed their eyes, their connection deepening. As they eventually pulled away, Stella cradled Mike's face in her hands, scrutinizing his eyes as if she could discover the depth of his emotions.

"You know, Mike, I could gaze into these eyes forever. I've longed to see them up close, undisturbed by anyone or anything," she confessed, a glimmer of a smile gracing her lips.

Mike responded softly, "Feel free to look as long as you wish."

Stella's eyes sparkled with a mixture of emotion and joy. Laughter danced between them, creating a bond that seemed unbreakable.