Prologue: Love Found Again

"Empty Lake, Empty Streets, The Sun Goes Down Alone."

Don Henley-The Boys of Summer

The lake's surface was smooth, almost glass-like, disturbed only by the occasional breeze. Reflected in it was a blue-furred vixen. She wasn't looking at her reflection though, but at the setting sun.

She drew a heavy sigh and said "Krystal, how did you end up like this?"

She thought of everything that led her here. Her planet, Cerinia, was destroyed. Everyone, including her parents, was killed. However important some of her memories of those days were, she thought more of what happened after.

Two years of wandering had brought her to Sauria, the very planet she was on now. She had ended up the captive of renegade Sharpclaw General Scales and Dr Andross. They planned to sacrifice her to fully revive the latter. But then came the one man who would change her life and have his own changed; Fox McCloud. From the time he first laid eyes on her he was smitten. While she was telepathic, Krystal didn't need to read his mind to know that. When the Saurian Crisis had been resolved, she'd gone on-board Fox's ship to thank him. He'd ended up asking her to join his mercenary team Star Fox.

Over the following year he'd taught her how to fly, how to shoot, and how to fight. But whenever he tried to talk to her about anything else he'd blush and stammer. A look at his conscience told her that he had difficulty caring for others. Understandable, he had lost his parents at a young age. They'd grown closer during the Aparoid War in 2609. A short time after, he'd admitted his feelings for her and she had done the same. It lasted two months. Then he ended up pushing her away, forcing her off the team. She was hurt, and joined the rival team Star Wolf in hopes of hurting Fox back. She even dated one of it's members, Panther Caruso; but fate threw her and Fox together again. The Angler War broke out and the two had ended up working together.

After the war finished she went back to Star Fox but soon returned to Star Wolf, a decision she would come to regret. Star Wolf's leader Wolf O'Donnell did not trust her that time around. While Panther welcomed her back, Wolf made sure that she knew that she was on thin ice whenever the former wasn't around. One day he'd approached her from behind, grabbed her, and put a knife to her neck.

"Listen bitch," he'd snarled "I don't have anything on you yet, but I'm gonna' prove that you're spying on us."

He made a cut on her neck and walked away. She knew then that she couldn't stay. She went to her room and started packing. Panther saw this and was initially bewildered. Then he noticed her bleeding neck and put two and two together so to speak.

"I don't blame you for doing this." he'd told her "Once Wolf gets on your back there's no way to shake him off."

So here she was now, all alone. She shivered as a breeze blew by. It was getting colder and she only had a pink flight suit on.

"Where do I go now? I have no one."

Just then she heard a ship landing behind her. She turned around and saw Fox get out of his Arwing and walk towards her.

"Erm, hey Krystal." he stammered like he had in the old days.

"Fox?" she replied. "How did you find me?"

"Well' um, I figured you'd be here since this planet has such meaning for you... and me."

He swallowed and said. " Look, I'm-

"Don't say it Fox." she interjected.

Fox's ears flattened "Uh, okay than. I'm hurt, but I get it. I wouldn't forgive me either."

Krystal cursed inwardly at saying that the wrong way. "No Fox I didn't mean it like that, I know you're sorry. I am too."

He raised an eyebrow "For what?"

"All this time I never realized that you just wanted to protect me. I know that now and I've forgiven you."

He smiled for the first time in weeks. "I forgive you too."

Before he knew what was happening Krystal drew Fox into a long kiss. The sun went down on the two and on the days of the uncertainty that they had gone through. Nobody knew it then, but one of the darkest chapters in Lylat's history was about to unfold. When the forces of Hell and those that collaborated with them would tread the soil of Lylat. Such was the Demon War; and it was to rear it's ugly head in the coming months. But for the time being Fox and Krystal can focus on rekindling their relationship.