2 - Healed scars

Moscow, August 29th 2015 - 9:54

"I can't believe you're leaving in two days!" Zhenya whines as she helps me pack.

"I know... But it's been a year since I started skating again and I need to compete again. Which is not going to be easy after two years." I reply sadly.

My room at our apartment in Moscow is looking emptier by the minute as I pack everything I need to take with me. It's been a difficult year recovering from my injuries and trying to get my jumps back. Everything went downhill after I started training again. I realized that even my triples were wonky and they only got worse as time went by. Turns out that when you get 10 centimeters taller the way you skate has to change drastically. I used to be the most promising skater in 2014, since I was one of the very rare skaters that were able to do a triple axel at the young age of 14. Now I'm 16 and I'm just like everyone else: okay triples and no Axel.

At first when I got back on the ice I trained like a maniac, not understanding why I couldn't even do a triple toe anymore. Then I injured my hip, after taking too many bad falls. I almost gave up on my skating career but I decided to just train for pleasure, even if I can't compete. So I took it easy and eventually my jumps started getting better, since I actually started listening to Sergei when he corrected my technique. The only jump I don't have back yet is my triple Axel, but everyone keeps telling me I don't need it to win.

Now I'm ready for more... I'm ready to compete again... And to do that I have to move to Germany... And I know what you're gonna think 'Why would you have to do that?' well the answer is: Eteri still can't coach athletes competing for other countries which wasn't a problem until now.

So therefore I'm moving to Germany. Specifically I'm moving to Munich to live with my brother and train at the same rink as him. As much as I'm excited to spend more time with Nick I still kinda wish I could live in the US with my dad but that's not where my world class coach is... I don't know how he could be remotely as good as my coaches in Russia but I guess it's worth giving it a shot.

"I'm gonna miss you guys..." I say softly "And thanks for helping me pack!"

"Well we couldn't just leave you to pack your 200kg of clothes alone" jokes Yulia.

"I don't have that much!"

"Um you literally have at least 20 pairs of black skating leggings, and a whole box of skate guards because you have to obsessively match them to your outfit..."

"That's not true!"

"Yes it is" adds Zhenya sheepishly

"Okay fine, but how could someone wear like red guards with a purple outfit!!" I admit jokingly.

~

Okay... Last practice before the big move. Let's hope I end this summer on a good note because I've been doing pretty well the last couple of months. My triples have all been flawless as well as my triple triple combos (still have to work on my loop though). I'm in top shape again and my short program is now fully choreographed, all details worked out.

I had a tough time choosing my music but eventually Danil suggested 'Back to Black' as a music for my short, and I agreed that I should have a fun program for my first season back and change it at the start of next year. We decided not to choreograph my free program and leave that up to my new coaches (and I also have no idea what kind of music I want).