Chapter 24 - Everybody say thank you Haknyeon

Start from the beginning

"I only said the truth. You are already missing her like I do, aren't you?"

"I am. But just because Yunho's an idiot, doesn't mean she's never coming back."

"You've read the letter. We were the reason she was feeling better and what now that even this is gone? She's not coming back. And I can't even hate her for it."

Seonghwa opened his mouth to say something but he didn't know how to cheer his friend up. He was hoping Rory would come back, was almost sure of it. Something in his mind told him there was more to that, a fact he had to remember.

Seonghwa glanced at his necklace and suddenly he remembered what Rory had told him. About her mission to bring them back, about what happened before they came here. How could he forget about it?

"What are you going to wish for when we reach Wonderland?"

Yeosang looked at his friend in confusion not sure how he should answer. "I don't know, I guess I just want to know who I am."

"What about whishing to go home?", Seonghwa asked. Now that Rory was gone, he had to carry out her mission. Seonghwa trusted Rory and was sure he had to do it. So he had to convince all the boys.

"That would be nice.", Yeosang whispered. But then he sat up. "What if I'm living far away from you or if you all go to different places? What if I forget about you?"

Seonghwa flinched at this question. Yeosang was right: There was a chance they would just forget about each other but Seonghwa had a feeling their friendship had started even before coming here. Then he looked at the necklace again. If he remembered Danbi, then wouldn't he also remember the boys, the people he loved most?

"I'm sure we'll find a way so that this won't happen."

The sun had just started to rise when Rory reached her destination. A few birds chirped making the girl smile sadly while walking down the path. Holding the ring tight in her hands Rory stopped at the memorial. Her eyes wandered to the names of the boys.

"I don't know if I can do this.", she whispered, losing all faith and hope in herself. She wasn't sure if this was all a dream or not, or if she could really bring them back to life. Rory wanted to give up everything. Time would go on in the other world, even without her being there, so what would stop the guys from going to Wonderland themselves? What would stop them from wishing for anything there?

Rory's eyes watered and she wiped away the tears immediately. I'm overreacting, she thought. Even without Yunho she I have to help them, right? Rory let out a sigh. Suddenly there was no purpose for her.

"Didn't think I'd meet you here.", a voice said behind Rory making her turn around. At first she couldn't recognize the guy but then he stepped into the light.

"Hi, Haknyeon.", she said with a small smile. Haknyeon was someone who managed to brighten up the class's mood and even make the teachers laugh. He was smarter than most but didn't brag about it. Instead, he tried to help others. Today his usual smile wasn't there. He pulled out something from his bag and put it towards the flowers and candles. It was a plushy.

"What is this?", Rory asked confused, not sure if it was an appropriate question. Haknyeon smiled sadly at her, fiddling with his locks.

"His name's Shiber. San always kept it backstage whenever they- you had a performance. It gave him strength. It's the only thing I could save from there.", he explained. Then he let out a sigh. "At first I wanted to keep it as a reminder he once existed and didn't just disappear, but it belongs to him. Maybe he'll find peace with it."

Silence filled the air and Rory had to hold back her tears. She felt guilty for thinking only of herself and not of others. Haknyeon noticed her sadness and pulled Rory into a hug. At first Rory stiffened up but the moment she heard sniffles from Haknyeon himself as well she put her arms around him.

For a few minutes the two classmates, strangers even, stood there hugging each other not trying to ease the pain but trying to make the other feel understood. Rory appreciated Haknyeon the most in this moment. She had never spoken to him, not even once but their sadness was the reason they were connected for a second.

"I come here every week.", Haknyeon said and pointed at another name. "It's not only San but another friend of mine, Younghoon drowned as well. God, I hope- I hope they didn't feel any pain."

Rory turned to Haknyeon. She remembered the water in her lungs, the coldness. She couldn't tell him the opposite. She just couldn't. Then her eyes fell onto the flowers and candles. "Are you the one who brings them?"

"Most of the time, yes. Me and my friends thought it would be a good way to honour them. Maybe they aren't here anymore but that doesn't mean they're forgotten, right? They're still a part of us."

"You're right.", Rory whispered and glanced at the ring in her hand. Then she turned to Haknyeon again. "Thank you."

"For what?", he asked confused and let his eyes wander around the victims names.

"For giving me hope."

This day Rory and Haknyeon walked together to school. Many students greeted the boy and eyed Rory, thinking it was weird for a popular guy like Haknyeon to hang out with her. But Haknyeon wasn't faced by the stares and simply ignored them and lead Rory to his group of friends.

They all greeted her friendly and Rory recognized some friends of Felix. Sunwoo turned to her with a small smile.

"Ready for your History exam?", he asked making Rory's eyes widen in shock. She had completely forgotten about it.

"No?"

Haknyeon chuckled at that. "Don't worry. It's just a small test. Should I explain something to you? Anything that confused you?"

"What about everything?"

After two hours Haknyeon and Rory were free from the heavy silence in the classroom. Many students had already finished but the two of them used all the time. Rory had actually tried to get the right answers for the first time in a while, surprising both herself and her teacher, Mr. Brunner, who usually got useless answers from her. Haknyeon on the other hand had finished his test after just two minutes, but stayed as long as Rory, so she wouldn't feel pressured by being left alone.

"How was it?", he asked carefully. Rory sighed but felt relieved at the same time. For the first time in a while she had a feeling it wouldn't end with her getting zero points. She was still at the bottom but at least she was able to climb up step by step.

"Terrible. But not horrible, at least."

"That's good. Would you like to spend some time with me and my friends?", Haknyeon asked shyly. Rory looked at the group of boys playing a round of mafia in the school garden, disturbing the precious peace.

Peace. That's what Rory felt. When she realized it, she gasped in shock.

"Sorry, Haknyeon. Maybe one time, but I need to do something now."