Honestly, he was scared. What if they didn't click anymore, what if his father had changed, or worse, what if he didn't like the person that Frank had grown into? He knew those fears were silly, and his father wouldn't judge him the way his mother did, but it was still terrifying to open his heart back up to him again after everything they'd been through. But now with the way things were going, Frank was open to seeing him again. If he did go to college, it would be in New York anyway, and it would be a huge money saver if he could crash at his dad's place when necessary instead of having to pay for a dorm room or an apartment, but he wouldn't feel comfortable asking for that without at least spending a bit of time with his father first.

But most of all, the reason for Frank's hesitance was that he wanted Gerard to be with him when he was reunited with his father. His presence was so soothing, and Frank knew he would make the whole situation easier. Yet he didn't want to ask it of him right now, not with everything he had on his plate. Mikey had just recently recovered enough to be properly admitted into the rehabilitation program, and Frank knew Gerard had his hands full between his job and trying to visit his brother as often as possible.

But something was telling Frank to take the plunge and see if he could make this meet-up happen. He had missed out on so much because he was afraid. If he had only attempted to contact his father before, to try and find him despite his mother's wishes, he might not have suffered nearly as much as he had. He didn't want to miss out on any more time with his father, no matter how scary it was. So when his father invited him over that Saturday for a small cookout his husband was throwing, Frank said yes.

Trying his best not to get his hopes up, Frank texted Gerard and asked him if he was free on the weekend. He knew he had been spending most of his time not at school with Mikey, but it was worth a shot to see if he would be able to make it. Determined not to spend his day waiting on his boyfriend's reply, Frank managed to pick up an extra shift at work to make up for him taking the weekend off.

While on his lunch break, Frank allowed himself to check his phone, and he was shocked to see a response from Gerard already. Lately, he was lucky if his boyfriend got back to him within a few hours, if not the next day. Frank had been doing his best not to let the fact that he seemed so low on Gerard's priority list bother him, but he had to admit it stung. Today though, it seemed Gerard had made time to answer his text.

"I am on Saturday. Sunday is my visitation with Mikey but we can do something before then if you'd like. I'm sorry I've been neglecting you. Things are just...hard right now."

Frank sighed in both happiness and resignation as he read over the short message. He appreciated the belated apology, and he knew things were indeed hard right now, but still...at least Gerard was free on Saturday. Now Frank had to find out if he'd agree to go with him to New York for the day.

After explaining the situation with his father and the barbeque, Frank hit send and went back to work. Gerard was aware that he had been talking to his father more, but Frank hadn't mentioned his desire to visit him. He hoped Gerard would be open to the idea, but if he wasn't, Frank wasn't going to let him derail his newfound determination to see his father again for the first time in years.

But luck was on Frank's side today, because when his shift finished up and he was able to check his phone again, Gerard had replied.

"I'd be honored to go with you! And it'll be a lot faster if I drive you anyway. I can't wait to see you again."

Frank felt a smile tugging at his lips as he began the walk home, his steps lightened by the fact that he would be able to see his boyfriend in a few short days.

~~~

Ascending the steps to Gerard's apartment on Saturday morning felt like going back in time. It wasn't all that long ago since he had been here, but his mind took him back to the first time he had climbed these steps. Back then Frank had no idea what he was in for, when he had been burdened by Mikey's dead weight and his own failures and fears. He hadn't known that he was walking toward a person who would change his entire life for the better.

A part of Frank missed those earlier days before he knew Gerard was his teacher, back when their attraction for each other was all that mattered. Frank wouldn't change things though, he had gained so much in Gerard even through their ups and downs. He was more than just a lover now, he was his boyfriend, which is something that Frank had never had before, but now he wouldn't give it up for the world.

They had both helped each other become better people, at least, Frank thought so. He knew to an outsider, their relationship might appear toxic, or wrong, but to him, it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. Gerard had grounded him, he had shown him that he was worth so much more than his body and the pleasure he could give someone else, and he hoped that he had also helped Gerard understand his own self-worth as well.

As if simply thinking of Gerard had summoned him, the door creaked open just then, revealing Gerard in an oversized t-shirt. His hair haloed his head in messy waves, the ends of which were almost touching his shoulders now. His eyes looked weary but gorgeous as ever, the shades of emerald and amber mixing together in a colorful constellation that Frank could easily get lost in if he let himself.

Gerard stopped in his tracks when his eyes met Frank, the bag of trash he was holding falling from his grip as two of them gazed at each other like it was the last time they could. Frank wasn't sure if he breathed, he was too busy drinking in the sight of the man he loved. Something warm and potent unfurled in his stomach when a smile lit up Gerard's face. He had caused that expression, and that fact meant more to him than he could ever explain with words.

"Hey." Frank finally broke the silence when it became apparent that Gerard wasn't going to.

"Frank," Gerard whispered under his breath, his body jolting forward as he embraced Frank in a bone-crushing hug. "God, I've missed you."

"So have I," Frank exhaled against Gerard's chest, his eyes stinging with emotion as he let himself be held.

And at that moment, everything was perfect. Nothing could hurt him while he was with Gerard, not the past, not the future, nothing.

Okay so I know I've been gone for months again but this time I actually have a good excuse.

I've been super busy working on my next original novel Take His Place and it is officially available for pre-order right now on Amazon! The release date is June 18th (which is also my birthday). The story is based on my fanfic Intertwined Souls, and if you haven't read that, it's got strippers and dogs and fluff and some smut. I'm horrible at describing the plot but basically I'm really proud of it and if you like my writing at all I think you will enjoy it.

I'll leave the link to the pre-order in the comments if any of you want to purchase it. Only the ebook is available right now but in June I'll have the paperback version and a hardcover version available as well.

Btw this is the cover (and I am soooo in love with it).

But as always I do feel bad for neglecting this fic. I never stopped thinking about it or working on it. This chapter is setting up the last big plot point so we are getting into the home stretch finally.

Thank you to whoever has stuck around. Every comment and vote means the world to me.

I love you all so very much xxx

Chapter dedicated to Arro_Sohng

Just a few more months and we'll be fine

- starr