Mail

A/N - this is for Emma_the_shipper, I think I got this request a while ago so thank you for your patience!

TW: Themes of suicide, swearing

"Phil, mail's here!" Techno's voice called from the front hall. Phil was busy looking at a map and planning out the course for their next trip, too preoccupied to check the mail. "Just leave it on the table, thanks!" He called back. Techno grumbled but Phil was only half-listening to him complain about how it was going to pile up.

"I've got it!" The blond shouted suddenly, after figuring out how to get to all of their stops in time. They had been double-booked by a few villages for mob problems and raids to figure out, and he had been staring at the map for two days straight to figure out a way to fit it all into their plans. "Oh, that's great!" commented Techno as he made his way into Phil's study, looking at the map.

Phil began to animatedly explain the plan to his son, quite proud of figuring it out. By the time they left, the mail was sitting forgotten on a pile in the living room.

-

"Phil, can you please go through the mail? You didn't check it before we left and now the pile is twice as big," Techno groaned, gesturing to the impressive pile of envelopes that were close to falling off the coffee table. "There's some important stuff in there. I saw one from Ranboo, and I think maybe Tommy too. It's worth checking."

"What does the gremlin want now?" Phil sighed but situated himself to begin working through the large pile of mail. He started with the most recent, just thank-you notes from kind villagers and the occasional job offer for a mob problem. He sorted those based on how much money was offered - their services weren't cheap and they couldn't afford to help everybody.

Eventually, he made it through all the boring stuff and got to work on the small pile still there. Those were all names he had recognized, as he had left them for last.

Ghostbur had written to tell him about life so far, and Phil just sighed as he read through it. They received letters like this often from the ghost, and they always ended in an invitation to come to visit. They never ended up taking it, maybe because Phil was afraid to look into his son's face after what he had done.

He got down to the last two letters, one from Ranboo and one from Tommy. He opened Ranboo's first, reading approvingly as his friend who he saw as a son reported on the recent fighting and politics in the city. He also read about Ranboo's memory problems and felt sorry for the kid, wondering if they should visit to help him out.

He thought he had read the entire letter, but realized another page was stuck to the last one, and carefully peeled it off.

Phil,

I'm writing this three days after writing everything you've read so far in the letter, which should put the timing in perspective. There's no easy way of saying this, but Tommy is dead. According to Puffy and Sam, he had been going downhill after everything with Wilbur and Dream, and apparently, he built a tower and jumped to his death, right near that cliff outside his house. I'm telling you this because the death message glitched and no one received the notification, and also so that you know exactly what happened. The funeral is a week from the date on the primary letter, I hope you'll be there. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,

Ranboo

Well, that was blunt.

"...Techno?"

"Yeah?" His son said, peeking his head into the room. At the sight of his father's disturbed face, he sat on the couch opposite him. "What's wrong?"