A Father's Instincts (4)

A/N - A few things before we begin! I really appreciate the suggestions I got on part 3 and I apologize for not being able to incorporate them in the story, but I had already started writing it.  Also, please don't add this to your smut/shipping lists! This has no smut and I don't ship Tommy with other creators, because he isn't comfortable with either of those and I'm not comfortable writing that! 

Edit: stop with the graphic death threats. It's a character. DM me if you're that upset about it, but don't leave triggering things in the comments.

TW: Shouting, swearing

"Eret! You were gone an awfully long time. Everything okay?" Niki greeted the sunglass-clad person as she walked past on the Prime Path.

"Oh yeah Niki, everything's good," They said distractedly. They were still trying to process the encounter they'd had mere hours ago.

Niki looked slightly concerned, but simply said farewell with a sweet smile and went on her way.

Eret decided to Whisper to everyone rather than going to find them - they didn't want anyone hearing them.

They sent Whispers to Tubbo, Niki, Sam, Puffy, Ranboo, Sapnap, and Vikkstar and an hour later, they were gathered in a makeshift base Eret had constructed in the woods.

"What's this about? I've got business to do," Sapnap said grumpily.

"It's important, trust me."

With that, Eret began their explanation.

"I was out gathering materials for renovations to the castle when I found a treehouse. I thought, 'Who would build a treehouse in the middle of nowhere?' and went up to check it out. It was named 'Clementine's House' and there was a raccoon inside who said her name was Clementine. Before you ask, she didn't speak English but I just know that she was telling me that. She also told me to follow her and then fuckin' jumped out of the tree, and she led me to this little clearing. The weirdest part is that there was the cutest cottage. I was thinking maybe someone built a holiday home and had a secret pet raccoon, but then someone came out to greet Clementine. I first saw it was a raccoon hybrid, and then realized it was... it was Tommy."

"He's... alive? He's okay?" Puffy choked out. She had lost someone she saw as a son, and everyday mourned that she never got the chance to save him from his exile.

"Yeah, he's alive! He's okay, he has a nice home, and guys, he's a father. Clementine is his kit. His little raccoon daughter." Eret gave the group a watery smile.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe this," Niki murmured. Eret expected her to be more emotional, but she just looked bothered.

Eret shook off the feeling, knowing Niki would never think such a thing. She was just too sweet!

"Is he... different? Has he changed at all?" Tubbo finally spoke up. He had choked up when Eret said Tommy's name and was only now able to form words properly.

"He's very different, in some ways," Eret mused. "He's more mature and calm. He spends his days farming and taking care of his raccoon daughter and coop of chickens rather than planning wars and fighting battles and watching his friends die. It's good. He's... good. He left a part of himself behind, but I think it was worth it because he's at peace now."

When no one said anything, Eret continued. "Naturally, I immediately apologized for everything. Remember how our old Tommy would hold a grudge for years? Well, he just said he forgives me. Then I asked him if he forgave everyone else, and he said he hadn't thought about it because he didn't like to and he was always busy. He's hurt. He didn't say it, but I could tell. He shut away his past and started a whole new life. None of us know what happened to him in exile, but whatever it was only added to the pain we caused. I mean, all of us have hurt each other in one way or another, but you can't argue that Tommy hasn't had it especially bad. And Dream is serving a life sentence in prison now, so whatever he did to Tommy didn't help his trauma, and definitely only added to it."

They nodded in solemn agreement. Eret guessed that the group was still processing the information as he'd had to the entire way back.

Surprisingly, Sapnap was quite emotional. He had silent tears streaming down his face and was sniffling nonstop. Ranboo stood stoic, but you could see the pain in his red and green eyes.

Niki broke the silence by saying something no one thought would ever come out of her mouth.

"What a shame. I was really hoping he had died."

Her statement drew horrified gasps from everyone else, and she immediately put her hands up in defense.

"I mean, we were all thinking it."

Tubbo looked like he was about to explode. And then he did.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? None of us were thinking that! Actually, Niki, we were thinking how glad we were that our friend was okay. That our friend who we abandoned was alive despite this server's best efforts to make his life hell. I can see you didn't want any better for him. Because of that, you can leave. Fucking go," He seethed.

With a huff, Niki stomped out. Everyone was silent, wondering why Niki would say such a thing.

Puffy wrapped Tubbo in a hug, murmuring comforting words to the sobbing boy, and Sam had to hold Ranboo back from going after her. Tubbo had easily taken Tommy's disappearance the hardest and seemed like he was taking this news the hardest as well.

"I guess Niki won't be receiving hers, but Tommy wrote letters to all of you. That's the real reason I gathered this specific group."

Everyone's eyes widened, and shouting erupted in demand of the letters. Taking no offense, Eret simply chuckled and pulled them out, politely handing them to the snatching hands of their respective owners. Avid eyes desperately took in words, hands covered mouths, and eyes formed fresh batches of tears. By the end, even Vikkstar was crying.

Out of respect, Eret didn't ask what the letters said, simply letting them read and reread them over and over again. They wouldn't be surprised if the group had Tommy's words memorized by the end of the meeting.

"Eret, what do these numbers mean?" Tubbo asked.

"Oh, those are..."

"What? What are they?"

"First, let me ask who has numbers at the bottom."

Sam, Puffy, Tubbo, and Ranboo all raised their hands.

"Okay, you five please stay. Vikk and Sap, I wish you a good day, but I have to talk to them."

The two respectfully departed, leaving the six alone in the little base.

"Those are Tommy's coordinates; he chose you guys to know where he lives. It's important that you share these with no one, especially after Niki's reaction. If his peace is violated, I will be breaking kneecaps."

Eret's threat sounded playful, but everyone knew the seriousness behind it and shared his anger.

"Well let's get a move on, then!" Tubbo finally exclaimed, Ranboo nodded along with equal enthusiasm. Everyone was beyond excited to see Tommy for the first time in four years and to meet Clementine.

As they left to make their way to their old friend, a figure emerged from the shadows of a certain place where they'd had the perfect position to hear the conversation and now followed the group as they unknowingly led the eavesdropper straight to Tommy's home. 

(A/N, skip if you're not interested)

Oh boy, cliffhangers are fun. It wasn't supposed to end like this, but I really like this plot twist and I'm probably going to write part 5 tonight! I'm very excited. Hope you enjoyed!