A Father's Instincts (5)

A/N - Have this 3000-word monstrosity. Writing all these interactions was kind of hell. Hope you enjoy!

TW: Swearing

Wilbur didn't like his life in L'Manberg these days; he had been fine being dead and letting Ghostbur roam. He hadn't wanted to be brought back to life. But here he was, aimlessly wandering around the woods trying to find something to do. Then, he heard shouting and couldn't resist investigating, so he made his way towards it. It sounded like it was coming from only a few feet away from him but curiously, he couldn't see anything. Suddenly, his eyes focused in a slightly different way and he was able to distinguish a camouflaged structure nestled in between the trees.

He approached it and the shouting got louder. He identified the voice as Tubbo's and confusion drew his eyebrows together; why was Tubbo in a hidden shack in the woods shouting? Who was he shouting at?

His second question was answered as he heard the name 'Niki' and saw the girl storm out a few moments later. He was able to hide behind a tree just in time and watched confused as she angrily stomped away. From this position, he was able to clearly hear the conversation going on inside and his eyes widened every passing moment. He had to slap a hand over his mouth to muffle his gasps and sobs as he started crying. Tommy was alive? Tommy was... a father?

Vikkstar and Sapnap walked out a bit later, much more peacefully than Niki, leaving what sounded like five or six people. Minutes later, the rest departed and he followed them with a mission: to find his brother.

As he walked, he focused on being silent, but it wasn't difficult because the ground was soft from rainfall and made his steps quiet so he let his mind wander. He thought about the grudge he held against his older brother and father for what they did to him and Tommy and everyone else. A part of Wilbur was a bit hurt that he hadn't received a letter, but he was comforted knowing that Tommy probably didn't know he was alive and wouldn't write to Ghostbur.

After a long walk of tiptoeing and ducking behind trees, the group led him to a cozy sight. A cottage was sitting in the middle of a small, flower-dotted meadow and smoke was coming out of the small chimney. He could see the reflection of the sunset in the pond and heard chickens in a coop behind the house pecking at their dinner.

He eagerly headed for the cabin to see his brother, forgetting to be discreet.

"Wilbur?" He heard the deep voice of Eret. He cringed and slowly turned around. His shoulders hunched and his eyes cast downward, he replied, "Yes?"

"Did you follow us?" Sam sputtered.

"...Yeah. I was in the woods when I heard you yelling and I kind of... listened in? I didn't hear everything, but I heard enough. I want to see my brother."

Eret's eyes narrowed. "You didn't receive a letter, much less his location. That means you're not welcome."

"I don't care," Wilbur shot back with matching venom in his tone. "He doesn't even know I'm alive - of course he wouldn't send me a letter."

"That doesn't mean anything! We don't know if he would have sent you one even if he knew you were alive!" Puffy exclaimed. The group was slowly closing in around him and Wilbur was starting to feel threatened, but he wouldn't back down.

"I understand your concern, but I'm not here to hurt Tommy or to expose his hiding spot. The last thing I would want is to put that boy through more hell, I promise."

Tubbo sighed. "I'm sorry Wil, but the bottom line is that you didn't receive a letter."

Wilbur was starting to get really angry. Who were these people to try and keep him from his little brother?