In Bloom

A/N - This was a request from New_Pronouns_who_dis for mute Tommy, thank you for sending the prompt! I really like the idea of deaf Tommy too, so that might be coming out soon. This has Dadschlatt which I remembered was a request from simp2828, but I also have a sick Tommy oneshot coming for you soon!

TW: selective mutism, parental neglect, unhealthy home environment

"And this is my youngest, Theseus," Phil says with a smile, ruffling his son's hair. Schlatt notices the boy scowl and his hand twitch, but he makes no effort to move Phil's hand, which now rests possessively on his shoulder.

"How old is he?" He asks. "He's eleven right now," Phil responds. Schlatt just smiles a bit nervously, wondering why the dynamic is so off between the two. It was nothing like his relationship with his own son.

Speaking of his son, Tubbo comes bounding down the path. "Dad! Dad, I found a bee's nest in the forest!" He shouts. "Oh, that's awesome, buddy! You oughtta show it to me later, alright?" He spares a glance at the blond kid and takes into account how confused he looks. But Phil's grip tightens on his shoulder, and his grey eyes find the ground.  

Schlatt had had enough. He didn't want to assume anything, but he wanted to get this kid alone at some point to make sure everything was okay. Phil was charming, but Schlatt was familiar with how some people hid behind charm, having done it in his younger years when he was in politics, although he was embarrassed about it now. 

"Hey Tubbo, you wanna show Theseus the bee's nest?" He says as Tubbo gets closer. He goes to ruffle his son's hair but remembers how it looked when Phil did it - so controlling. He settles on patting him lightly on his shoulder, before moving his hands to his side. 

"Sure! Theseus, come on, I promise they won't sting you!" Schlatt watches Tubbo grab the boy's hand, who just looks at their enlocked fingers in wonder. Some brightness comes to the kid's eyes, and Schlatt realizes with a start that they aren't grey, but a brilliant blue. 

"As long as you ask your dad if it's okay!" Tubbo says, and suddenly the blue is gone. The boy slouches and shuffles over to his father, who only looks down on him with an appraising gaze. After a moment, he nods, that handsome smile returning to his face. It was looking less and less genuine.

"He may go," The blond man says authoritatively, and grabs the boy's neck as he turned to leave. "Have fun," He murmurs through gritted teeth with a smile. 

As the kid walks away with Tubbo, Schlatt sees the fingermarks on the back of his neck.

-

"So Theseus doesn't talk that much, huh?" Schlatt asked Tubbo while they were cleaning off dishes from dinner. The Minecraft family had taken their leave, and Schlatt hadn't heard a peep out of the youngest all evening. 

"He likes to be called Tommy more," Tubbo said casually, and Schlatt looked over at him in surprise. "He spoke to you?"

"Only to ask me to please call him Tommy. Then he started mumbling about how I didn't have to and I said sure I could, and he didn't say anything else. But he's so nice, Dad! He liked my bees, and they liked him too! One even landed on his nose," He giggled. All Schlatt could do was stare at him in amazement, wondering how he got so lucky with his son, and marveling at how pure and kind children were. 

"Well, I guess we'll be calling him Tommy from now on," Schlatt said.

-

"Hey, Tommy!" Schlatt greeted, and the boy looked up at him in surprise, but with a bit of a gleam in his eyes. "It's Theseus," Phil corrected with confusion. "My bad." As Schlatt said it, he snuck a wink at Tommy. The boy's face went red and he looked down at the carpet, but Schlatt didn't miss how his eyes lit up as Tubbo bounded down the stairs in his only pair of nice overalls. "Tommy!" He shouted, engulfing the boy in a hug. "Come on, let's go play!" He dragged the younger upstairs to his room, and Schlatt heard soft giggling coming from Tommy as he rounded the corner and went out of sight, eyes widening at the sound before he turned back to Phil. The man was flashing him a smile, one that was supposed to make him feel at ease, so Schlatt decided he would play the man at his own game. People always got honest when they were drunk, and pretty soon, he had gotten Phil to down quite a bit of alcohol without drinking a single drop himself.