The Nature of Daylight

A/N - This was inspired by On The Nature of Daylight by Max Richter. It's not a song fic and you don't have to listen to it since I know not everyone is a fan of violin music, but it's a really good song if you are. It was also loosely inspired by a scene in The Book Thief, as well as a little bit from my favorite scene from The Haunting of Hill House.

TW: Life-threatening wounds

"TOMMY, NO!" Tubbo rushed over to his kneeling friend and dropped to his knees in front of the taller, holding him by his shoulders as he gently brought Tommy to the ground on his back. An arrow was embedded in his abdomen, the blood staining the white shirt the same color as the red sleeves. The more fabric Tubbo stuffed around the wound, the more he lost hope because it was immediately soaked through with the warm liquid. His hands were caked in a rusty color and he thought it fitting that Tommy's blood was on his hands.

"It's not- not your f-fault," The boy below him choked out. "No no no, don't speak, Toms," He shushed in reply. He yanked off his jacket and patted the area around the arrow, but the rational voice in the back of his mind told him it was futile. 

"Tubbs, it's okay. Let me go, it's okay. Go back to L-L'manberg, get t-to safety. Please."

"I'm not leaving you, Tommy!" He angrily turned from the wound to meet Tommy's eyes and saw they were closed. A peaceful smile was settled on the blond's pale face, and Tubbo's face crumpled. It wasn't over. It couldn't be over.

He tried everything, he gave him chest compressions, mouth-to-mouth, he bandaged the wound, but Tommy's hand was still limp and cold and his eyes were still closed. 

Tubbo screamed with everything in his heart to anything in this cold, dark forest that would listen. Something had to come along and help him, it had to. This couldn't be how it ended.

He looked to the sky, begging any god above or below to bring his friend to life. As his head turned upwards to the sunset, he was struck by how beautiful it was. The tears in his eyes blended the colors together even more than they already were, and he found himself motionless at the sight. It was... sad. It was such a sad goodbye.

He closed his eyes, blocking out the colors painted in the sky. It wasn't goodbye, it wasn't over. But the light still peeked through his eyelids, making him see red instead of black. 

A hand was on his shoulder. A warm, comforting hand. His eyes drifted open and he turned around to meet the smiling face of none other than Tommy. 

What?

"Wha... how?" Tubbo turned to see Tommy's corpse still resting beneath the tree, but he turned back to see the boy also standing right here. There were two Tommys; one dead, one...

Understanding dawned on the boy. Tommy was dead, and this was his ghost. "You're back!" He choked out, and stumbled to his feet, pulling the taller boy into a hug. 

"Can't get rid of me that easily!"

The two wasted no time taking off through the forest, running and whooping. Adrenaline rushed through Tubbo's veins, from the stress of earlier and the relief that it was all okay. It wasn't over, after all. A smile graced his face as he felt the rush of the wind in his ears and heard his friend shouting as they ran side by side.

Tommy climbed a tree and shouted down from high in the branches. "We should totally build a treehouse up here!" Tubbo nodded enthusiastically and they got to work.

After a few hours, their little house was done, and they stood on the ground looking up, admiring their work in the moonlight. But they couldn't dawdle; there were more things to do.

 They snuck into L'Manberg where they robbed as many people as they could and snuck away under the cover of darkness, snickering with their items which they stashed in their treehouse.

Later on, Tubbo was out gathering berries because they got hungry when he heard a song floating through the air, immediately recognizing it as Chirp. He hurried back to the treehouse and climbed up the rickety ladder to see Tommy sitting on the ground next to a jukebox, which was the source of the melody.

Apparently, Tommy didn't notice Tubbo's arrival, because he opened his eyes and wiped tears from his face. Tubbo was worried about his friend crying, and immediately made his presence known by sitting down next to Tommy to comfort him. 

"What's wrong, Tommy?"

"Nothing, Tubbs, nothing at all. I'm just happy."

Tubbo, although a little confused, just rested his head on his shoulder as they listened to disc after disc. The night sky was slowly turning blue, and Tubbo could see the color changing in the East.

Tommy shifted from underneath Tubbo's head, and the brunet lifted it to face his friend. The blond's expression was troubled, and he wouldn't meet Tubbo's eyes for more than a second before turning back to the budding sunrise.

Eventually, he spoke. "Tubbo, there's... there's something I haven't told you."

"What?"

"I can't stay here. The sunrise, the light, it's calling me. It's... our time is up, and I need to go."

"What do you mean?" Tubbo smiled, but he could feel panic rising in his chest and knew it was visible in his eyes by the way Tommy's own softened in regret.

"I can't stay here forever. I have to go."

"No. No, you don't. You don't have to go, you can stay here with me and with your family and your friends and your country, you don't have to leave me. You don't have to leave, please." 

"I'm sorry Tubbs, but I do. I have to. I'm dead, and I need to go where dead people go."

"You can stay here! You can't leave me alone, you can't. All we have is each other, right? Well without you, I have no one. I'll be alone."

"You won't be alone, I'll still be here." Tommy gave him a sad smile and rested his pointer finger on Tubbo's chest, in the place where his heart lay. Tubbo yanked the finger away and grasped it tightly with both hands, willing Tommy to stay. 

"But you're here. You're right here in front of me. Why would you trade that for whatever comes next?"

"Because I... I don't know what it is, but I can feel it. It's peaceful, and it's where I belong. You belong here, with living people and animals and plants and sunrises. I belong somewhere else. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it feels like time doesn't exist there, and it's just.. peace. I can wait for you there, and we can see each other again someday."

Tubbo said nothing, still holding Tommy's hands tightly in his own. Tears dropped down on their enclasped fingers, and all that was heard was sniffles and the soft sound of Mellohi.

"When you think of me, think of this night. Think of our final hours together and know that they were the happiest of my life."

With that, Tommy turned to the rising sun, a smile resting on his face. "NO!" Tubbo shouted, and jumped at Tommy. But his hands grasped nothing, and he fell to the wooden floor of the treehouse with an oomph. He looked at his empty hands, and then up. The sun nearly blinded his eyes, and he was filled with hatred for it and its stupid light for taking his best friend away from him. 

(A/N, skip if you're not interested)

Sorry if this was kind of cringe, I thought so a little bit while reading it over. You might have noticed my upload schedule slowing down a bunch, and that's just because it takes me longer to think of ideas. When I started, I had a huge list of ideas which was why I was posting every day, but now I've kind of gotten it out of my system. I'm not going to stop, but uploads are going to be much less frequent. I've got some requests that I'm working on, including a sequel to Bisexual Innit. Let me know if you have any requests! Hope you enjoyed.