Welcome home -Kyalin

Timelines are hard and I'm a geek on the subject, so Bumi is 29 in this, Izumi is 28, Kya 25, Tenzin 23, Lin 22 and Su 16

Lin sat next to her best friend and rubbed Iroh's cheek. Izumi chuckled and pressed a kiss on her four years old son's forehead. The boy had peacefully fallen asleep in his mother's arms half an hour ago. "I didn't know you liked kids," the Firebender chuckled. Lin folded her arms and sat straight. "I don't. Kya must be almost here, let's go," she whispered. The Waterbender had asked them not to tell anyone about her arrival, so she could surprise everyone. Izumi nodded and stood up to walk to her parents, being careful not to wake her son up as she lifted him up. "Lin and I are going out for a minute, can you watch Iroh?" she asked her mother. Mai smiled and nodded, taking the child from her daughter's arms. "Sure."

Suyin looked at her sister, and winced. "Where are you going? Can Bumi, Tenzin and I come too?" she asked quickly. The elder rolled her eyes and shook her head. "No! Let's go, Izumi." The Firebender shook her head in disbelief, half laughing, and followed her best friend after pressing a last kiss on her son's head. They walked to the dock of the Island silently and calmly, though they both were way too excited to see their best friend.

"Is your face doing better?" Izumi asked as they waited for Kya. Lin rubbed the scars on her cheek and looked away as tears filled her eyes. She didn't need to hide from her best friend, but the fact that Izumi was six years older always made her feel like she needed to be stronger. "Yeah, it's been more than three months don't worry," she said while trying to hide a blush. Izumi laid her hand on the Earthbender's shoulder and chuckled sadly. "You know you have the right not to be okay, right?"
"Obvi," Lin chuckled back.

Her gaze shifted towards a boat, coming towards the island and she took a step closer to the water excitedly. "Look! That must be Kya!" Izumi laughed and grabbed the back of her tunic, pulling her back. "Yeah, don't fall, kid. She's not here yet to dry you up," the Firebender laughed. Lin groaned but couldn't help but smile. "I'm twenty-two, you have to stop calling me that."
"Never."

******

Kya jumped in her best friends' arms as soon as she saw them both. Izumi immediately answered and tightened back, but Lin was a lot more reserved. She had always been like that. "Hey," the Earthbender said. Her voice was softer than usual, and Kya knew her well enough to know that something was off with her. She'd have to talk to Izumi about it, Lin had always been like their little sister and they would've never let anything happen to her.

"Hey," Kya said as she pulled away. She looked closely at the both of them, and her jaw dropped when she saw the red thick scars on the Earthbender's cheek. "Oh, love, what happened!?" she asked hurriedly as she switched to healer mode, making sure it wasn't infected or anything. Lin smiled faintly and took her friend's hand. "Don't worry, your mom took care of it already. And I don't want to talk about it." Kya rubbed the back of her nails against the injured skin and pressed a kiss on the Metalbender's hand. "Are you okay?" she asked softly. Lin smiled sadly and nodded, as Izumi wrapped an arm around each of her friends. "Don't worry, you still look adorable," she assured with a smile, winking at the youngest. The two others immediately relaxed, Izumi was the most serious of the three because of her responsabilities as Fire Princess, but it didn't stop her from being amazing at making her best friends feel better.

Kya sighed as she kept rubbing the youngest's scars. She regretted not being there when it had happened, though she was glad her mother had taken care of her best friend. So much seemed to have changed since she had left... And she wasn't even used to the fact that Izumi had a son now, she would've loved to go back in time, to when all was simpler.

"Wait, Kya! Is that what I think it is!?" The Firebender asked, pointing at her friend's neck. The healer laid her hand on the betrothal necklace and bit her bottom lip, she didn't expect her friends to notice it so soon. She looked at Lin and saw a strange glimmer in her eyes, she couldn't quite determine what it was... jealousy? but why? "It's nothing," she answered. "We broke up." Her eyes filled with tears as she thought about what had happened, she regretted trusting that stupid girl so much.