24

TW's:
-Mental breakdown
-Emotional and psychical abuse
-Mentions heart disease and burn out
-Suicidal thoughts (mentions overdose)

Clay's POV

I left to go home after I ran to George again and I had been smiling the whole time, although I was very worried too. George didn't seem to be feeling well and I had texted him a few times on Discord, but he hadn't replied to me. But still, I was very happy. He confessed his love to me and I was so happy about that.

At the same time, I was feeling really bad. I was shaking, because I needed my pills and I would look in the drawer if there were any new ones. Otherwise I would call the doctor to give me new ones quickly. I needed them and I needed them today.

I walked home, because I didn't want to be at home before it was four o'clock, but I still arrived at home just a few minutes after. I opened the door and I slowly walked in, sneaking up the stairs. Apparently my mum heard me come up and she called out my name. I startled a bit, but I sighed and walked to her room slowly.

'Clay, can you give me some water and lunch. I haven't eaten yet. Oh, and do you want to make dinner in a little bit too? You should also do your homework and maybe you can clean my room.'

Before I got really mad at her, I slammed the door shut in her face and I walked away to the bathroom. I hated her, I genuinely did. I felt bad for hating my own mother, but I couldn't even call her my mother. I was her slave.

I closed the bathroom door behind me and I started looking through all the drawers as I suddenly heard the door open. I expected it to be my sister and I smiled, but my mum stood in the bathroom with a very mad look in her eyes.

'Why are you here?' I whispered.

'You are going to listen to me.'

'Mum, you're standing right now, you can easily walk downstairs and make yourself something. You act like you can't walk, you act like I'm your slave, but I will remind you. I'M YOUR SON. You know how much I miss the old times? The old times with dad and you? How I could crawl into your bed when I was scared and how you would hug me and make me fall asleep? I know I'm maybe too old for that now, but I'm still your child. I also sometimes love to get some attention from my mother.'

My mother didn't say anything for a few minutes, but she still looked mad. 'Just make me something, you're selfish. You only think about your own problems. I have a burnout and I can't do anything, okay?'

'Do you not realise how many problems you've brought to our family? Do you not realise how poor we are getting? I can barely make food, because we have nothing. If I go to the store I have to stay under twenty dollars in a week. Do you not realise you are the one who should change?'

'Why aren't you working then?'

'How could I be working? Do you actually not understand? I'm at school for the whole day, I have football training, when I come home I'm your slave and I have to care for Drista. I also have to do my homework, make food, clean the house and go to the store. Even watering a stupid plant is too much for you.'

'You really don't understand me, you're young. You can easily do that, just go get a job to get some money.'

'I'm exhausted, I can't do it anymore. I actually can't, mum. I hoped I would have killed myself yesterday, because I can't deal with it anymore. You are the selfish one here.'

'Killing yourself? And then being even more selfish than you already are.'

'Suicide is not selfish, you are selfish for not helping me.'

'If you don't make food now, I will hit you.'

'Do it, hit me. I'm too tired, mum. I can't anymore, I want to sleep. I wish to stop breathing in my sleep, because it's too much.'

I got slapped in my face as she told me she would and I got pushed against a wall. 'You are going to make food now.'

And then it was over for me, I bursted into tears and cried harder than I had ever done. 'I can't anymore,' I whispered.

'You're such a baby, I don't want to see your ugly face anymore.'

My mum turned around and walked away, leaving me full of tears. I sat down on the ground and cried just as long as it took for the door to open again. My sister walked in and she sat down next to me.

'Go to sleep, Clay. You're completely exhausted, you can't make the food.'

'But mum will get so mad at me.'

'I will make the food, Clay. Don't worry about it anymore.'

'I can't let you do that, you're sick.'

'I'm starting to think that you're sick too. You're burnt out, you have a burnout just as mum. Only you keep pushing and she doesn't.'

'I'm so tired, Drista,' I whispered as I rested my head against her hoodie.

'I know, Clay. It's too much now, it has been too much for weeks to months. You are going to bed and please, don't worry about me. I'm having a good day today and I will make the food and clean a bit.'

'I can't let you do that, I'm already selfish.'

'If there's someone not selfish here then it's you. You have been caring for us and others for months long even though you have to use calming medication to be able to do it.'

I nodded slowly. 'I don't want you to pass out or something.'

'I'll make sure to sit down before that happens.'

'Can I actually let you do it? I feel so bad for making my sick sister do everything.'

'But you can't anymore, Clay. I'm okay, I can do this.'

I nodded slowly as I gave up fighting against it. I helped my sister go downstairs and to make sure I laid down on the couch, falling asleep in just a minute.

1055 words