Best Friend

Still not quite back to a normal schedule, but here's a oneshot anyway!

Amity fiddled with her copy of The Field of Deadly Fates. They had taken turns reading it out loud, but just finished the final chapter. Luz had her back to the witch, and was in the middle of pulling out a copy of book three when Amity cleared her throat. Luz turned around with the book in her hands, looking at the green haired girl questioningly. Amity flushed pink and started to brush her hair out of her face, before realizing it wasn't in her face and blushing even harder.

"Luz, um... I have something I want to tell you..."

Luz could feel her curiosity growing exponentially.

"Of course! What is it?"

"Well... Amity continued nervously. "you're my best friend, but-"

"Really?" Luz blurted out loudly.

"...huh?" Amity had rehearsed this countless times for weeks now. She had kept changing it, adding to it, and then deciding not to say anything at the last moment. Now that she had finally begun, especially since she was thrown off by Luz's interruption, her mind couldn't seem to grasp what to say.

"I'm your best friend?"

"Well... yeah..." Amity had no idea what was going on at this point. Surely Luz knew this already?

"Oh..." Now it was Luz's turn to blush, though her face was nowhere near as red as Amity's.

"I... thank you." Luz smiled softly at her, only confusing her further. "That means a lot to me. I've never really had any friends before, until I got to the Boiling Isles at least. Well... I did have one friend a while ago, but she moved and we lost contact. Besides, she had plenty of other friends she'd known for much longer anyway, so I'm sure I wasn't anything super special to her or anything. I don't think I've ever been anyone's best friend before. I mean, I have Willow and Gus of course but again, they've had each other for so much longer that there's no way I'm either of their best friend. So thank you. Heh..." Luz scratched the back of her neck. "...I know it's kinda a strange thing to thank someone for, but still. Seriously, that means so much to me."

They sat in a moment of silence before Luz thought to add

"Oh... and you're my best friend too of course."

Another pause. Once Amity was sure Luz had finished, she took a deep breath. She wasn't sure this was the best idea, especially after all of that, but at this point she was going to go through with it.

"Luz... what I was going to say was... you're my best friend, but I want to be more than that."

Amity shut her eyes tightly as she finished blurting out her confession, half expecting a literal slap to the face, if not at least a metaphorical one. None came.

"Amity, you... you like me?" Luz emphasized the last two words separately as if she couldn't believe she was using them, much less sequentially.

"...yes?" Amity replied, still worried about Luz's response and frantically trying to figure out whether it was positive or negative. Luz looked so shocked she decided it must be the latter.

"I'm sorry! I messed it all up! And after you even said all that about being best friends-"

"No!"

Amity jumped back a bit.

"I'm sorry, it's just... no, you didn't mess anything up! I just never thought you would like me... I actually have a crush on you, I just never told you because I thought it would make our friendship awkward. I like you too, Amity!"

"Oh..." was all Amity could think to reply, but fortunately it didn't matter because Luz leaned in and soon both of their lips were quite occupied.