eighteen

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

we walked into the kitchen where shawn's family was, eva was clinging on to my body for dear life, this house was a new environment for her so she wasn't comfortable at all.

that makes two of us.

as we turn the corner i see them all, his mother, father and sister who as i told shawn was pretty sure i'd seen before, i was right. she was the same aaliyah that was at my family home a couple months back.

"oh my god." aaliyah mumbles, covering her mouth in shock as she looks at me.

"hi" i say with somewhat of an anxious laugh, aaliyah comes over and gives me a hug, "it's nice to see you again."

"again?" karen asks, looking to aaliyah for an explanation.

that's when aaliyah tells her the whole story, about how we've seen each other a couple times, but of course she left out the story of when she skipped school.

"well, hi i'm adelaine." i tell karen somewhat confidently, i stick my hand out and she shakes it with a chuckle.

she then comes closer and hugs me, catching me off guard, "we're a hugging family." she says to me.

manny waves his hand with a smile as he takes a sip of his beer, i see he's not really one for hugs.

"and this—" i say, turning eva's head gently as she was hiding it behind my shoulder, "is eva." she giggles and waves her hand.

"hello i'm eva and i'm three!" she tells everyone loudly holding up three fingers, which makes all of us chuckle.

"oh she's so cute!" aaliyah squeals, coming closer to me. "can i hold her?" she asks and i nod my head, pulling eva's body gently off mine as aaliyah takes her from me.

immediately they bond amazingly well, eva even agreed to aaliyah taking her on a tour of the house, i was surprised because eva usually wouldn't go anywhere without me or someone she knew really well.

shawn looks over to me before chuckling and looking down with a huge smile on his face.

i really wish this feeling of butterflies would go away.

∎ ∎ ∎

the dinner surprisingly went well, i was mentally preparing myself for shawn's family to be very critical of me and think i was some sort of gold digger, like his label but they actually were extremely loving people.

we even made plans for his family to have a dinner with my family so we could all get to know each other, so that was next on the agenda.

shawn was going to drop me off at my place because he was the one who picked us up, so i didn't have my car.

"we're here." shawn mutters, snapping me out of my trance.

i didn't know what came over me but suddenly i had a genius idea, "do you want to come in?" i ask, he smiles and nods his head, unbuckling his seatbelt.

he takes eva out of her booster as i go to open the door, i hear the click of him locking his car and we walk inside, shawn placing eva down on the ground, "i was thinking we could maybe put her to bed together." i whisper.

shawn had this glint in his eye and he chuckled, picking her back up once more, "let's go then."

he follows me up the stairs to her bedroom, i could feel his eyes on me, they never left mine even as i reached the top of the stairs and opened her door.

eva looked completely wiped out, it was an exhausting day for her, i didn't even bother to change her because as soon as shawn laid her in bed she passed out, i switched her night light on and left her room, walking towards the hallway where shawn was, leaving her bedroom door slightly ajar, like i always do.

"ok well now that's do—" i didn't get to finish my sentence because shawn immediately crashed his lips into mine, i kissed him back with just as much force, wrapping my arms around his neck.

he places his hands just below my butt, lifting me up so that my legs wrap around his, he crashes us into the wall lightly which makes us laugh between kisses.

"where's your bedroom?" he whispers, his lips grazing on mine ever so gently.

"next door." i mumble as one of my hands makes its way to shawn's curls and i tug on them lightly, causing him to release a throaty moan.

he drops me onto my bed with a soft thud and he gets on top of me, his charming smile winning its way into my heart and giving me this feeling of deja vu.

i pull on the hem of his shirt and he removes it instantly, followed by his belt, both were on a pile on the floor besides us. "your turn." he whispers, pressing a kiss to my neck, one his hands reaches over the end of my dress as he helps me with lifting it up and over my head.

leaving me with nothing but my panties on. "you look divine." he whispers, pressing a gentle kiss to my collarbone, he unbuttons his trousers and drops them on the floor to meet with the other stack of clothes that was already there.

the rest of that night was simply magical.

∎ ∎ ∎

"how do you look so amazing in the morning?" shawn asks as i open my eyes, his were on mine.

"you know it's rude to stare." i tell him, chuckling. that got a laugh from him, that's when all the memories from last night came rushing into my head.

immediately my hand flies to my face, "did we really do this last night?" i groan and shawn nods his head.

"why?" he asks, looking worried.

"shawn—" i begin, taking a deep breath, "we're meant to be co-parents, and they don't do this."

"well, we could always change the rules." he mutters, looking at me, i lift myself up, using the covers to hide myself.

"shawn i'm not going to do friends with benefits with you. we have a daughter together, it could get messy." i tell him.

he sighs, "i never said anything about friends with benefits, i was thinking something more exclusive?" he says with a smirk.

"if you're asking me to be your girlfriend, you're going to need to ask again because that was trash. also, if we did that, it's something that's going to need a lot of debating, because it's not just our lives it would affect. we have to think about eva."

he sighs quietly, "you're right."

"