six

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

"so, are you going to give me an answer?" shawn asks, raising an eyebrow.

shit, shit, shit. i sigh, shaking my head — did i really have to tell him?

"is eva my child?" he asks once more looking somewhat agitated, i look at him and bite my lip, nodding my head.

"yes, she is." i mutter, quietly look down to the ground, shawn curses, running a hand through his hair. i instantly regret the decision of telling him.

"why did you keep this from me?" he asks, his eyes practically bulging out of his sockets, but i could tell there was a hint of pain behind them, "why didn't you tell me?"

oh hell no, "would you have believed me?" i ask him, rudely, now looking back up to his face, "i was just a one night stand to you, i didn't even have your phone number for that matter, how would i have told you? instagram? would you have even replied you'd probably think i was just some money hungry person." shawn's face instantly deepens with sadness and regret, but i could also notice that he looked defeated.

"i guess you're right." he mumbles, i sigh, pressing the buzzer, mentally cursing myself at the idea that just came into my mind.

"alaina can you bring eva in please." i say, shawn looks at me with a confused look, cocking his head to side and raising an eyebrow, in a couple of minutes, alaina arrives with eva on her hip.

"here she is." she whispers as i watch alaina put her on the ground then i look at shawn, who watches eva with so much love and adoration already.

"mommy!" she exclaims, running over to hug my legs, i chuckle, placing my hand on her back, she looks over to shawn and then looks to me, "who's that?" she asks, pointing to shawn.

"eva don't be ru—" i begin to say but shawn interrupts my speech.

"i'm shawn, hi eva how old are you?" he asks, curiously, bending down to her level.

"i'm three!" she boasts proudly, holding up four fingers proudly to shawn's face making him chuckle. "how old are you?"

"i'm twenty five." he tells her, eva's eyes widen, she couldn't even count that much, so to her it was a lot of numbers.

"you're old." she whispers, making shawn laugh once more.

"she's funny." he tells me, getting back up, i give him a tight-lipped smile, this was so awkward i don't know how to react, eva however couldn't feel any kind of tension between us so she went to the couch that was on the other side of my office and began to play with her dolls.

shawn clears his throat, his eye level now being the same as mine, "so uhm, where do we go from this?" he asks, i shrug my shoulders, "i want to be involved in her life."

i knew this was going to happen, "shawn, shes three. she doesn't know you, and honestly? i think it would be better if we just kept it the same as it's always been." i tell him.

"she is my daughter too, i want to be a part of her life." he says harshly, "you can't stop me from seeing my daugh—"

"my daughter shawn, she is my daughter. you haven't been around so as far as i'm concerned she is my daughter."

"i haven't been around because i didn't know!" he exclaims, his neck vein now looking like it is about to pop, i shoot daggers at him, because eva was in the room, i don't like there to be any 'angry shouting' around her, it's the kind of energy i don't want her to pick up on. "sorry." he mutters, calming himself down.