seventeen

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

ok so, the dinner with my parents and shawn went amazingly well, i honestly think they might love him for than they love me, which is frightening.

they spent the whole night talking to him asking him about his job and so on and so forth, i was practically being ignored, but i didn't mind — i was happy that my parents enjoyed being around shawn.

however what i was not happy about was that today was going to be the reverse, shawn somehow convinced me to meet his parents tonight with eva, of course. at the time i said yes, but now?

definitely not, i look like a train wreck.

my curls were all over the place and nowhere near as nice as they usually look when they've been treated well, i literally have no nice outfits to wear because i got rid of basically everything the other day and my makeup wasn't coming out the way i wanted it to.

i wanted to make a good impression, but i don't think i'll be able to, which is giving me major stress.

after numerous phone calls i managed to get alaina to come over and help me out, she was supposed to be getting ready for a date of her own but i was in distress so she came to help me out.

"what about this dress?" she asks, rummaging through my closet to pull out a stunning emerald green dress with a small slit and a scooped neck, that i genuinely don't think i have ever seen, i don't even remember buying it — it was the most amazing dress i had ever seen.

"is it suitable to meet parents though?" i ask her, she looks at it then looks back at me nodding her head.

"girl, you're the mother of a baby who shares genes with a world famous pop star, and the other half is you, a stunning ceo of her own company, come on. you need to show them exactly who you are." she has a point.

once i put the dress on the next focus was the rest, whilst alaina did my makeup i focused on doing whatever i could with my hair, which wasn't much.

∎ ∎ ∎

"i think i'm ready." i mutter as i rub my lips together, mixing the nude lipstick into each other as i admire the white wing that alaina did on me, i never thought that white eyeliner would be a look for me, but it works really well.

"you definitely are! you look like a whole goddess." she tells me excitedly, "if shawn doesn't fall head over heels in love with you, i know plenty of people that will."

i slap her arm playfully, "i am not trying to make him fall in love with me, i just want to make a good impression on his parents." part of that was true, i sort of wanted to see if shawn liked me, i couldn't tell from that kiss we shared back in malibu.

did he like me or was he just overwhelmed by his feelings?

as i walked downstairs with eva on my hip who was wearing just a simple white frock that my mom bought for on her last birthday, the doorbell rang.

"he's here." i whisper to alaina who laughs at my reaction.

"ok, go get your man girl! and don't worry about me, i have your spare key so i'll see myself out as soon as you've gone so he doesn't see me."

she hugs me goodbye and i make my way to the door, opening it all the way to see shawn in a beige givenchy shirt with some of the buttons not being done and some black trousers, he truly looked amazing.

his breath hitches, "oh wow." he mumbles, scanning his eyes down my outfit then looking back up to me and clearing his throat, "you, you look amazing adelaine."

instantly all the nerves i was feeling were washed away by that comment, he shoots me one of his adorable smiles and i send one back his way, "thank you." i tell him.

"and you—" he begins, gently taking eva from me and placing her on his hip, smiling, "look beautiful honey." she giggles.

"thank you daddy." my heart won't stop swooning every time i see shawn smile when eva calls him daddy.

"ready to go?" shawn asks, looking at me and pulling me out of my daze, i nod my head.

"yeah."

∎ ∎ ∎

we had arrived at shawn's family home, which for the record was only two minutes from my own family home, i don't know why i had never seen him before in my life, we lived very close to each other.

but the sudden feeling of going to meet his parents brought back a lot of nervous feelings and i could feel my palms getting sweaty and my breathing getting a bit more heavy, why was i so nervous? this is about me, it's about eva.

"you ready?" shawn asks me as he parks his car and looks at me, my face was filled with panic, i think he could send it, "don't worry my parents are amazing, they'll love you and eva, i've already spoken to them about her and shown them pictures they're already obsessed." he tells me.

that calmed my nerves, a bit. but i was still nervous, more than i should be admittedly, because i was going to meet them as adelaine, the girl who is also the mother of their first grandchild not as adelaine, their sons girlfriend or anything of the sort.

i really shouldn't be this nervous.

"let's do this. before i change my mind." i say, shawn laughs at the last comment as he unbuckles his seat belt and gets out.

quickly, i hop out my own seat so i don't give myself anytime to process what i just said and i get eva from her booster, shawn waits for me on the sidewalk and we walk up the stairs together to their front door.

as he unlocks the front door, i swallow a lump in my throat that i didn't even know i was holding this whole time.

"we're here!"