fifteen

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

ever since that moment shawn and i shared, we've been closer than ever, he hasn't tried to do anything else but i feel like that helped us grow together, as if we both understood what each other meant without even needing to say it.

however, we have returned to canada and by we i mean me and eva, because shawn had to stay in malibu to do his job which is to write music, he is talented at what he does i don't know how people can just make up a whole song from nothing.

thankfully though, i wasn't at work today, i returned the night before my day off which is a sunday, the day i take to spend with family. which is exactly where me and eva were headed right now, to my parents house.

my family and i talked for a while through zoom whilst i was in malibu, but they thought that i was there simply for business, i didn't want to tell them the truth just yet. witnessing my parents try to manage zoom was difficult because my parents didn't know what it even was, avery had to show them.

but we spent the call talking about their day, how my business was going and they even spoke to eva for a bit, she loved being in front of a camera it was like she was born for it, it was hilarious. she's such a photogenic little baby too.

so, today is a family dinner but it was going to be... different? because me and shawn spent the day before i left talking about our situation, to come up with some sort of plan. but i was going to talk to them about the idea of co-parenting with shawn, something that they may not like the idea of, or maybe they do i'm not sure.

if they liked that idea, then shawn was going to fly to toronto for a couple days to meet them and spend time with them, because i'm not going to let shawn be an active member of my family without him at least meeting them, which he agreed to.

i wasn't sure what we would do if they didn't like the idea, we didn't really speak about that so i'm just hopeful that they do like the idea of eva being around her father.

"mommy! we're here!" eva shouts once i park the car outside my parents front door. they open the door and i see my mother waving at us from the door, i wave back and walk out, getting eva from her booster then making my way to the door.

"hey mom." i grunt as i place eva on to my hip, my mom moves out the way of the door to let me in, kissing my cheek once i enter.

"what about me nana?" eva asks, making us both chuckle, my mom pinches her cheek ever so delicately before pressing a kiss there.

we then make our way over to the kitchen.

∎ ∎ ∎

"so, uhm. i need to speak to you all." i begin, clearing my throat after we all finish eating, "it's nothing bad, well i don't think it is. but i thought you all needed to know."

"is this about what i think it is?" daniel interrupts, and i nod my head slightly, "i don't th—"

"daniel shut up." avery butts in, making his girlfriend, mya, who is just recently being introduced to the family, laugh.

"continuing, so you all know my situation with shawn currently is just weird." they all nod their heads slyly, trying to figure out what exactly i'm trying to say, "so whilst i was in malibu with shawn—"

"hold on, hold on. you were in malibu with shawn? i thought you were going there for work?" i shake my head.

"yeah, about that. i did go because of work but instead of staying with my friend i ended up staying with him  because shawn wanted to spend time with her, he is also working in malibu right now, for his album and he's going to be there for a while so he just wanted to see eva for a bit." i tell them, making them nod their heads.

"but i did do work, so technically i didn't lie. i was there for work, i had a meeting with sephora about putting my products in their stores, which is happening by the way."

ok, they took that well.

"anyways—" i continue, clearing my throat once more, "we talked and we tried to figure out a solution, which is when shawn brought up the idea of co-parenting."

"what's that?" my dad asked, curious.

they were quite old fashioned so they didn't exactly know all these new terms.

"it's when two people that have a kid together share time with them, so for example one week with the mother and one week with the father." i tell him, "but yeah, shawn brought it up and i like the idea of it, so i wanted to know what you guys think?"

"how would it work for when shawn goes on tour? will eva still spend one week with and then one week away?" my mom asks, making me shake my head.

"we haven't gotten that far yet, so that's something i'd have to ask him but i don't think i'd want to do that because eva is so small, i don't want to shove her in a plane every three days. so in that case it would probably mean every holiday she gets from school."

"well, i'm not sure how i feel about the idea of it, but i like the idea of eva having a father figure. so if it makes you happy baby, go for it." my dad tells me, making me smile.

i'm happy he likes it, shortly after a couple more questions from my moms which was typical, she's significantly more protective over eva than my father, she finally agrees.

"ok this is good, i'll tell shawn tomorrow so that he can fly back to toronto to meet you all. next week alright?" i ask and they nod.

we spent the rest of the night playing monopoly as a family, which was fun we haven't played some games in a while we usually just watch some television.

either way, it didn't last long because now that my baby is in pre-school we have to go home earlier so that she can get a good night's rest before waking up early again.

she was loving school though, every single day she would tell me what she learn and sometimes she would even want to stay there longer.

yesterday, she was telling me about how she wanted to be a ballerina like her friend, macy from school so i spoke to her mother, who was an amazing woman and she told me the name of the ballet group that she takes her daughter to.

it's something i'll obviously have to speak to shawn about but i think he will agree, it's good for eva to have a hobby, plus more time that she's busy means more time i can spend at work, doing the things that need to be done.

i was excited to speak to shawn tomorrow.