three

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

"i think this one might be the one." i tell my brother as we walk away from the possible future preschool that eva could attend, daniel nods his head.

"yeah, i liked this one too, where is eva, by the way?" he asks, as we get into my car.

"alaina has her, i'm about to pick her up now." i say and he hums, turning the radio on.

"this next song is called monster by shawn-" once again, my hand reaches for the radio and shuts it off, why is he appearing everywhere nowadays? this album came out three years ago?

"spotify?" daniel asks and i nod my head, the last thing i wanted to do was listen to his songs, he already wouldn't leave my mind, i don't need his songs stuck there too.

daniel had an obsession with the production of selena gomez' album rare so he was constantly listening to it, meaning i had to listen to it, which i didn't mind — i loved selena gomez, i personally thought she was an amazing artist.

"oh yeah! guess what?" i say to daniel, interrupting him from his moment, his face turned to face me and he raised an eyebrow, motioning for me to continue.

"i saw him yesterday." i told him, he raised his eyebrow once more.

"who?" i gave him a dumbfounded look, he can't be serious right now.

"who do you think daniel?" i ask, looking at him with a straight face, he thinks about it for a second.

"shawn?" i nod my head, switching my eyes back to the road, driving towards alaina's house.

"yeah, i was with eva—"

"eva? did he see her?" he questions, interrupting me, i shake my head.

"i'm not stupid, i covered her face, anyways yeah i was at the pizza place and he saw me, he even spoke to me."

daniel looked over to me, "did he recognize you or?" i shake my head. "ok good, you ok?"

i shrug my shoulders, "i mean yeah i'm fine, i think. i just i don't know, i think he would remember me but i guess not." in reality, i didn't know whether to feel hurt or not.

∎ ∎ ∎

"eva!" i sing, she was currently hiding somewhere in alaina's house, they were playing hide and seek so we were all trying to find her.

we had to be quick too because we had to drive to pickering to go to my parents house for a family dinner — this was also my first time seeing them since eva's third birthday in august, so it's been a couple months, i've been so busy with my company that i haven't been able to go see them.

"eva baby! we have to go see grandma and grandpa come on baby!" i say once more, that's when i hear little footsteps rushing towards me, she was hiding in the cupboard that was under the stairs, smart.

"let's go mommy!" she yelled, excited to go, she loves to see my mom and dad, it's the best time for her, she also adores my sister, avery, they honestly get along like two peas in a pod.

"hold on baby—" i mumbled as i picked her up, resting her on my hip, "we need to say bye to auntie alaina, yeah?" i tell her and she nods her head.

"and get my toys!"

i walk into alaina's living room, spotting my brother and my best friend there, "found her." i tell everyone.