four

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

"so, adelaine have you decided who the celebrity spokesperson for summer collection is going to be?" one of the investors asks me, we were having yet another meeting — i swear i'm always holed up in meetings, they never seem to end.

"i have a couple of people, i've reached out to all of them and i'm just awaiting a reply." i tell her curtly.

"who are they?" she questions, clicking her pen. the sound was infuriating.

"camila mendes, sabrina carpenter and madison beer." i reply, they nod their head.

"sabrina would be a good candidate." someone speaks up and i nod, agreeing with them, she was actually the first person i thought of, "i think out of those three she's the one that's been the least involved in drama, camila is also a good bet, but she's very busy with her movies that i don't think she would accept."

"ok well, i think the meeting has come to an end, thank you for taking time out of your day for this, i know you all probably have busy schedules." i say, giving everyone the usual spiel of thanking them for the time.

i don't know why i bother with these meetings, half the time they aren't helpful they just like to give their opinions. sadly however, they are investors so i have to keep them up to date with everything.

the last person leaves and alaina closes the door, once i hear the click i groan, "thank god that's over." she chuckles, nodding her head.

"why did you get such boring people to invest in your business and work besides you?"

"because even if they're boring, they're good at their job and they pay for everything that we have." i remind her, making her roll her eyes playfully at me.

"coffee?"

"yes please."

∎ ∎ ∎

my computer pings, telling me that i have a new email to read. i quickly scan over the subject to see that it was about eva and her possible new school. "oh shit, hold on" i mumble, interrupting alaina from the conversation about her date last night.

"they accepted her!" i exclaim happily, alaina raises an eyebrow, confused.

"who?"

i laugh, "the pre school i wanted to enroll eva in!" i tell her and she nods her head, processing what i just said.

"oh wait shit— that's amazing!" she says and i nod my head rapidly, i was extremely happy because it meant that now eva didn't have to go to other people's homes just so i could come to work, i mean i know they didn't mind but it bothered me, a lot.

"i know!" i begin, with a wide smile, "wait do i have anything else that i need to do here today?" i ask alaina who checks my schedule and shakes her head.

"no you're all done for the day." she tells me, i smile.

"alright, well i'm going to leave early and pick eva up to take her shopping for her new school, see you tomorrow?" i say, she nods.

my hand reaches for my handbag and i hug alaina goodbye, walking out of my office with her behind, as i lock the door. i say a quick goodbye to my staff, pressing the button to the elevator to leave my building.

∎ ∎ ∎

"guess what baby?" i ask eva as i place her in the shopping trolley, she had her juice in one hand and her belle doll in the other.