eleven

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

it's been a month since we last saw shawn, he's been occupied in california with his work. he would call occasionally to speak to eva but it was never for too long, occasionally she would ask about him and i could swear i heard her say 'daddy' at one point.

she was currently in pre-school, for another hour or so, daniel was actually going to pick her up and take her to my mother's for a family dinner — i was supposed to meet them as soon as i was done at work, but with this endless stack of papers i don't know exactly i'm going to be done.

i take a deep breath as i look through the company's financial records, tired of signing papers. i press the intercom besides my table and call for alaina. "hey a, can you come here please?"

she arrived in my office moments later, "what's up?" she asks, shutting the door behind her.

"can you take these to the human resources department, let them know that all the papers have been signed." i ask and she nods, taking the stack from me, then walking out again.

my phone began to buzz besides me, making me groan, i was just about to leave, i answer it begrudgingly, "adelaine miller, how can i help?"

i hear a chuckle on the other end, "it's just me." shawn. "i just finished for the day and wanted to know how you and eva are?" he asks, making me smile.

"well, i'm fine, just about to leave the office and go for a family dinner, eva is in school and my brother is on his way to pick her up and go there." i tell him, making him hum.

"listen—" he begins, clearing his throat, "andrew has rented this place which is like in a malibu suburb so it's very quiet and private." thats when i interrupt him.

"and you want us to go see you?" i finish his sentence.

"yeah."

i sigh, "i don't know shawn, i mean yeah it's private, but—"

"—there's no buts, it's a private area, no paparazzi around for miles, and eva is off from pre-school and i'm sure you can take one week off from your own company." he's got a point.

"fine, i'll look at flights later today and message you." i tell him, i can hear a cheer in the background making me laugh.

"no need, i had a feeling you'd say yes, i sent you your tickets through email." he tells me, before i could even protest the fact that he had bought us tickets, he hangs up.

∎ ∎ ∎

"hi everyone!" i shout as i shut the front door to my parents home, i hear the patters of my daughters feet and immediately my face breaks out into a grin as she walks over to me, "hi baby!"

"hi mommy." she says, pressing a kiss to my check which i return by smothering her face with kisses, walking over to where my family was, as soon as i place eva back down she runs off somewhere.

"hey guys." i tell them, as i sit down in the sofa besides avery. "hey aves, how was school?" i ask her and she shrugs, typing a message on her phone.

teenagers.

"how about you dan, how was your day?" i ask him, making him chuckle.

"it was ok, i just spent it with mya."

mya was his girlfriend, for about four months now, they met at daniel's workplace and have been on dates practically every single day until my brother got the courage to ask her out.