seven

shawn mendes
TORONTO, CANADA

"shawn, think about it. how can you be sure that this baby is yours? what if this is all just an elaborate plan for her company to gain more attraction?" andrew asks me, i look at him dumbfounded.

he can't be serious, right?

"you did see the child right, she has my features, how would she fake that? plus it all adds up, i split with camila three years ago, i came to toronto and you know the story from there. eva is three years old, it all makes sense andrew." i tell him, andrew sighs deeply, using his hand to rub his forehead.

"you have no idea how bad this could be for your career, do you? imagine people finding out that you had a kid three years ago and basically completely neglected it." he explains further. "and you also had a three year break, which people didn't like already."

he always likes to use that against me.

"i didn't know until now! i never saw her after that night, how can it possibly be my fault?" i ask andrew. "and the break was good for me, i'm going to put out music that's better than anything they've ever seen!"

he sighs once more, "i'm going to need to set up a meeting with the label and adelaine, i'm sure you know this. shawn, are you sure you want to continue this whole idea of being part of her life? knowing the possible consequences?"

"andrew. eva is my child, i have to own up to it, and plus, i've always wanted kids, probably not at this age but i don't mind. i want to be apart of her life and that's final."

"alright, shawn."

∎ ∎ ∎

adelaine miller
TORONTO, CANADA

my phone began ringing on my desk besides me as i was going through payroll, "adelaine miller speaking, how can i help?" i ask, as soon as i answer.

"hi, it's shawn."

i sigh, what did he want? "what's up?" i ask him, biting the inside of my lip, this couldn't be good.

"can i see eva today?" he asks, my heart sank, why did he want to see her? what was this going to lead to? that and million other questions were circling in my head.

"why?" i question, folding an arm across my chest with a huff.

i could practically envision shawn deadpanning me through the phone, "because she's my daughter." he says and i roll my eyes.

sighing, i consider his offer, "fine." i mutter hesitantly, he immediately cheers but i stop his celebrations, "but i have some rules."

"shoot."

"no cameras, private location and no one but me, you and my child there." i tell him.

"our child." he reminds me, making me roll my eyes.

"my child, shawn. send me the location and i'll go there after she finishes pre-school."

i end the call on him abruptly, taking a deep inhale. am i really doing this? we were fine without him, our lives were great, amazing even — why did he have to come and interrupt that?

there was a knock on my office door, "come in." i mutter, the door unlocks and i look up to see alaina. "hey a."

"hey, what's up?" she asks, taking a seat in front of my desk with a cup of coffee in hand.

"shawn wants to see eva today." i whisper, looking at her, she sighs.

"i'm sorry about not telling you about them being here, i didn't know but the least i could've done was message you, i had left my phone in my office and i couldn't leave them alone in your office i didn't know what to do." she begins to ramble but i stop her.

"it's alright a, i was expecting a situation like this to happen eventually, probably not this early on i was hoping more for when eva was old enough to understand but, i can't pick and choose. plus it's not your fault, i swear."

"so, are you going to see shawn today?" she asks and i nod my head.

"yeah, after i pick up eva from pre school, i'm going." i tell her.

"where are you going to meet him?" she questions and i shrug, making her raise an eyebrow.

"i told him it has to be a private location, you know, so we don't risk anyone else knowing, so he's probably finding one right now."

"good luck."

∎ ∎ ∎

"hi princess!" i exclaim as she runs up towards me, hugging my knees, i pick her up, smothering her in kisses, i then place her in her booster seat and get in my car, placing the address of whatever location shawn sent me into my gps. "how was your day?" i ask eva.

"great! we colored for the whole day!" she tells me happily, she looks around her, noticing we're not going the usual way home, "where are we going mommy?" she asks.

"we are going to see one of mommy's uhm friends today!" i try saying enthusiastically but it just came out awfully fake, i wasn't excited to see shawn again.

"oh! ok!" she says giddily, playing with her belle doll.

the drive was about ten minutes long from her pre-school, and as i park the car i look at my surroundings, i was outside a condo building, was this shawn's condo?

i quickly message him saying that i was here before getting out the car, getting eva out and covering her face, burying her into my chest as i walk into the building, shawn waiting for me by the front entrance.

we don't utter a single word until we're in the elevator, making our way to his floor. "how was your day?" shawn speaks up, clearing his throat.

"busy." i reply curtly.

we get to his apartment and i place eva down as shawn shuts the door, once she's on the floor i stand there awkwardly.

eva looks around shawn's apartment, not straying too far from me, "so, why did you want to see her?" i ask, shawn shrugs.

"well, i just felt like it was the right thing to do, as her father." he mumbles, crouching down to eva's height, she immediately hides behind my leg. "hi eva." he coos.

"hi." she mutters quietly, looking at him then looking back at me. "do you like belle?" she asks him, shawn looks to me with a raised eyebrow.

"she means belle from beauty and the beast." i tell him and he nods his head, looking back to my daughter.

"i do! she's my favorite princess." he says to eva, making her giggle.

"mine too! we can be friends!" she exclaims, making shawn chuckle.

"friends."