fifty-eight

In honor of 3k votes, I've decided to update again today! Thank you so much to all the readers who vote/ comment. It may seem like a little thing to you but it truly means the world to me and I appreciate your support more than words can describe. You truly keep me encouraged. ❤️

"Mmm, it smells amazing in here," Chris spoke upon entering the dining room, where Andi had spread out plates and plates of breakfast foods: eggs, pancakes, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, oatmeal, the vegetarian 'sausage' she loved that he absolutely despised...

"Breakfast feast!"

He hugged her from behind and planted a kiss on her bare shoulder. "This is very sweet and so very thoughtful. Thank you."

"There's one caveat," she turned around in his arms so she could look him in the eye. She reached behind her to retrieve the letter that was sitting on the table and gently pushed the envelope into his chest.

"The letter from Lily?"

"Read it."

Chris looked up at Andi, confusion written all over his face. He searched her eyes for any sign of anger or resentment and came up short.

While she appeared to be in a good mood, proven by the huge breakfast she prepared, he couldn't help feeling a bit apprehensive about her intention. Lily had been a huge sore spot in their relationship and he had the good sense to never mention her name, leaving him completely befuddled by the fact that it was Andi bringing her up.

Chris glanced down at the letter and ran his fingers over the name written neatly on the envelope: Andi. He flipped it over to find the seal broken. "You read it?"

She nodded. "I didn't wanna go into our marriage with a dark cloud looming over our heads. Now that the prenup is signed, we're closer than ever."

"Are you... upset?"

Andi let out a laugh. "Do I look upset?"

"No but sometimes you're hard to read," he spoke truthfully before placing a hand on her hip.

"You don't have to read me. I'll always tell you how I feel if you ask."

"How do you feel right now? As I hold this letter in my hand?" Chris raised the hand that held Lily's letter.

"I feel... lighter."

"Lighter?"

"I held onto the whole situation with Lily for entirely too long and although I let it go, I never really let it go," she confessed. "I trust you, Chris and I know you'd never betray me but I needed this. I needed this letter from Lily to fully let go."

He smiled and kissed her temple. "You don't know how happy that makes me."

"Will you read it?"

"I don't know honey. It feels a little too intimate for me." Chris sighed. He couldn't even begin to imagine how awkward he'd feel reading Lily's words. Having to relive every little detail about their friendship and how her crush on him developed didn't seem very productive. "This letter was written for your eyes, not mine. I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to read about what ever feelings she had for me, especially since I'd never reciprocate those feelings."

Andi took the letter from his hand and gestured for him to take a seat at the table. "I won't force you to read it if you're not comfortable doing so."

Chris kissed her before sitting on one of the six chairs that surrounded the table. "I love you and I appreciate the woman you are."

"I love you and I appreciate the man you are," she mocked with a grin and took a seat right next to her boyfriend, who was now filling a plate up with food.