fourteen

"This is the last one." Andi spoke while popping a warm donut hole in Chris's mouth.

"You must really love me to share your last donut hole."

"That's not the only hole I share with you."

"You've got a point there." Chris let out a loud laugh and glanced over at her before refocusing his attention on the road. They had been driving for almost 3 hours toward Phoenix, where they were planning on stopping for a day before heading to El Paso and then Dallas.

After what had happened the day before with Lily, Chris was more than happy to get away from Los Angeles. He'd felt so guilty about the situation that he wasn't even able to make love to Andi last night. The fact that he lied to the woman he loved was eating him up inside and he was planning on telling her the truth as soon as the opportunity presented himself.

"It's almost as if I'm like in love with you or something." Andi rolled her eyes playfully and hugged the Shrek plush that was resting on her lap- the very one Chris gave her on their first date.

"I love you."

"I love you too baby."

Chris lifted her left hand to his lips and kissed it. "We gotta get a ring on this finger soon."

"We do, don't we?"

"Don't worry. I've already got it handled." He revealed. "In 6-8 weeks, the perfect ring will arrive at our doorstep in Boston."

"God, I wish I could kiss you right now." Andi looked at Chris, who was watching the road attentively. "Now that I'm thinking about it I don't think you kissed me at all today."

"I kissed you this morning." He reminded. "Right before we left."

"Does a forehead kiss really count?"

"Yes."

"You didn't kiss me last night either."

Chris let out a sigh as he ran through the memories of what happened after Lily left. He remembered coughing on Andi's mouth, taking a shower and cuddling with her afterwards but couldn't recall kissing her, partly due to his guilty conscious. "You're right. I didn't."

"We didn't have sex either."

"We had sex two times by the pool in the afternoon..." He reminded. "Is it really a red flag if we don't have sex for one night?"

"Well no but when we start working again and we're away from each other for weeks at a time, you're only gonna have the memories of our quarantine fucks to get you through 3 months of no sex."

"Do you think we could go 3 months without seeing each other? Without having sex?"

"Shut up."

Chris laughed.

"Kiss me."

He looked down at the speedometer. "Is kissing while going 82 miles an hour on the highway the best idea?"

"No." She sighed and sunk into the passenger seat. "I feel like I'm going crazy."

"You're not crazy babe. Something happened yesterday that affected the way I've been treating you."

"What?"

"Do you remember when the doorbell rang?"

"The FedEx guy?"

"Yes. Well no." He sighed. "I lied to you. It was Lily."

"Why exactly did you lie?" Andi asked calmly.

"Because I was afraid of how you'd react when you found out that Lily-"

"I'm not threatened by her."

"Lily kissed me."