Cornered

It was a cold day on Bakunyuu. Few days were as cold as this one on the usually warm and semi-humid planet.

The clouds were black. No hopeful rays of light could pour down on the people of Bakunyuu today. Not as they held their loved ones in a tight embrace. Not as they trembled in fear as the clomps of soldiers' feet echoed through their town. Not as TIEs screeched overhead.

These people had lived under the thumb of the Empire for almost sixteen years and had their freedom for less than a month.

When the Empire was gone and they were free, they were reminded of this freedom every time they looked northward. The grand obsidian Phoenix whose wings seemed to reach up and out in a protective embrace. The mighty feat their Goddess Inferna had accomplished - saving them all. For that month, Inferna had set them free.

Where was she as the TIEs destroyed the magnificent bird of fire? Where was their Goddess as the screech of the TIE fighters flew over their town? Where was this almighty deity as two serpents dressed in black began to slither amongst their streets, brandishing the symbols the people once managed to scrub off their walls?

The smaller, female one with yellow eyes and two black marks cut downwards across her face had a small droid placed upon her shoulder. One red eye scanning over the area. The larger, male one with pale eyes and grey skin stood tall and silent.

"It seems that this frivolous check-in on this planet may reap some fruits for us today, Fifth Brother," the woman with yellow eyes had a slithering smile on her twisted lips as she studied the fiery mural in front of her. "The small base planted on this planet said this planet should have blown when that volcano erupted. But, here we are, and a phoenix erupting from the hideous planet's volcano."

"A phoenix," the man with pale eyes spoke. "Do you think this has to do with the Rebels?"

"It may..." Seventh Sister pondered, placing a hand on her chin. "The people claim that a girl-Goddess named Inferna saved them from the volcano and created that monstrosity."

"What if this has to do with that Syla Dume? The girl Lord Vader warned us about a month ago," Fifth Brother inquired.

"If that is so, we'd have to stand down and call Lord Vader to the scene," Seventh Sister reminded. "We wouldn't want to call him if this is just a dusty planet's folklore, now would we?"

The woman turned to the volcano, now covered in the smoke and debris from the fallen phoenix around it.

"Besides, if this Inferna does indeed exist, she will come once she realizes her mighty phoenix has fallen," the Seventh Sister grinned. "And the rebels will follow."

"Seventh Sister, Fifth Brother." the Inquisitors turned to face the ISB agent with a bo-rifle strung across his back who approached them

"Yes, Agent Kallus?" Seventh Sister inquired. "What is it?"

"We are getting reports that this 'Goddess Inferna' myth may have some connection to the rebel cell I have been dealing with for a long while now," he brought up a holographic photo from the device in his hand. In the photo, a kid wearing a blue cloak and no shoes sat atop of a lasat's shoulders, a togruta next to them in a grey cloak, and other rebels they had frequently encountered walked beside them. "Here they are at a festival the people had after the volcanic occurrence. People believe the girl with no shoes may be responsible for the phoenix we saw protruding from the volcano."

Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother shared a twisted grin as they saw the child with no shoe's face poke out from the hood of her cloak. Glowing red hair and fiery amber eyes. Just like the mural in front of them.