Banri Ending - "From Now On, Always"

Start from the beginning

"Not that."

He recoiled. "P-perhaps it wasn't thorough enough? Did you already splash yourself with soiled water a while back? Where? I'll wipe it down. I'm a failure—"

"W-we're not talking about water! I didn't splash myself."

"Then, is it my umbrella holding abilities? Because I rolled your rice balls one millimetre off from a perfect triangle—"

I gritted my teeth. Seizing his collar, I yanked him upwards and out of his submissive position.

"I'm asking the reason you're going out of your way for me like this! It's more than usual! Why?"

He didn't falter nor reject eye contact. "Because I've levelled up."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Huh?"

"Before, what I could do for you was limited," he continued. "But now—now that you've specifically chosen me to be by your side, I must commit appropriately. I'm yours, Kisa. Therefore, henceforth, I'll take advantage of the honour I was given and treasure you by serving your every whim."

My heart skipped a beat, it thrumming deafeningly in my ears. Like dominoes, his odd behaviour settled into place. Heat claimed my cheeks and ears.

I assumed I'd gotten accustomed to his ability to catch me off guard. This notion was inane, and touching, and very much like him. But. . .

"I. . . don't want that."

"Don't. . . ?"

I hugged my bag closer to my chest, burying my face. "I-I mean, I do want you to treasure me, but let me do the same for you, too. S-simply walking to school together like normal, without unnecessary bowing like I'm a greater power, or taking off your coat to put on puddles, is fine. And instead of letting me hog the umbrella, we can share it. . . And I wouldn't mind making lunches for your sake either. . ."

The words spilled out of me, supplying me with tenfold embarrassment. I couldn't bear to look at him anymore.

"When I confessed, I didn't want you to serve me. . . but to be my b-boyfriend. Like, conventionally."

Banri locked up like a statue.

"A conventional boyfriend," he stammered. "I can totally do that. Yeah."

A beat of silence.

He sweated. "Wh-what do you mean by that specifically?"

"We're starting from there?!" I cried. My lips quivered. Squeezing the umbrella handle—the space above his hand—I huffed, "Let's talk about this later. We're going to be late for school."

I lugged him forward, and we sauntered side by side, beneath the shade.

Banri Taniguchi truly was one of a kind.

✧༝┉┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉┉༝✧

Banri Taniguchi's POV:

The number of times my goddess glanced my way today: ten.

The number of times she stole my breath because of it: also ten.