Chapter 24

I had two matches left. Two. Two more guys to wrestle, and I could get first here, at my own school tournament.

The rage inside of me was hopefully enough, but my palms were sweaty as the table called my name for the next match. Drowning out all noises and distractions from the gym, I fastened my headgear and did one more stretch.

The match was ready to begin.

*******
My eyes glared at the person in front of me.

A girl.

I was wrestling a girl.

Savannah? Was that her name? I didn't care, I just wanted to beat her. Win. I was serious about this, winning meant everything to me.

Her blue eyes seemed to look right through me as we shook hands- her hands were way smaller than mine. This was the first time I ever had to wrestle a girl, in my life. Why did they wrestle with us? Why couldn't they have their own leagues? That would be better. Her body compared to mine was just weird- I couldn't explain it.

Anyway, our match began, and I was pushing her head down, to get a front headlock. Coach Thomas talked with me before this- I was for sure stronger than her, so I could beat her, no problem. She was easy to wrestle, I didn't think she was that good anyway.
It was just the kids she wrestled, they weren't good.

She was fighting it, now pushing my forehead back too. That made me mad, I was supposed to be leading this match.

I was going to win after all.

That was it- I decided to get a double on her, plow her over, get my two.

As I predicted, I did. So far, it was my lead, 2-0. I was beasting this thing.
She wasn't going to win, I wouldn't let it happen.

She started scrambling back up to escape, but I kept her down, and somehow with my struggling, I got my arm in for an armbar. Savannah was flat on her stomach now, trying to peel my hands away. Grabbing her wrist, I got up on my toes and started driving over her head, until her shoulders were almost turned.

This is what everyone fussed over? Her?

She sucked, I had her pinned.

I snapped out of my moment of victory as someone flipped out of it, and did a granbee roll out of it, earning two for a reversal.

How did she get out of my armbar? I had her pinned!, and it was on there tight!

We were in the second period, it being tied 2-2.

"Green chooses bottom. Get on her."

Off of the whistle I did a near arm chop, or, tried to, but somehow I felt my body turn through the air, and no. It was all a blur.

She did a Peterson on me.

How-?

Savannah was earning back points, and now she had a headlock on me. Oh no, I wasn't going to get pinned by this girl, never. This wasn't in my plans, it couldn't happen-

I used all of my strength to move, to try to flip out, but, she was like a boulder on me. Talk about fat. I couldn't do it- my heart was pounding, and I felt the droplets of sweat drip down my back, all that was on my mind was water.

The ref suddenly slammed the mat, making my eyes tear up instantly. Why wasn't my coach saying anything? My mind had been in a different place this entire match. He held up her hand, not mine.

I was walking out of here with third place, not second or first. The girl was now wrestling for first, not me. Her.

This wasn't fair. It wasn't.