Chapter 57 Brothers

In his sleep, Wei Ying turned over onto his back and stifled a cry, as sharp pain engulfed him. He sat up shakily, glad that he had not woken the sleeping beauty next to him.

He took deep, cleansing breaths until the pain subsided. Sleep was impossible now. He slid out of bed, careful not to inadvertently touch his husband, and crept out of the Jingshi.

He sat on the deck outside, leaning against the post and looking up at the stars. He remembered a story from long ago, not sure if his mother had told him, or his adoptive father, Jiang Fengmian, but it was a sad story.

He was aware of the demon before he appeared, sitting next to him. His black scales gleamed in the moonlight, teeth whiter than pearls when he smiled.

"Master Wei cannot sleep?"

Wei Ying nodded. He felt melancholic, the bittersweet sting of memories, of people no longer around.

"Someone told me a story once, about the stars."

"Tell me?"

"A long time ago, the King of the sky decorated it with stars. He asked his daughter, the Princess to help him by weaving clouds and mists in between. The Princess worked hard into the morning and was tired, so her father, the King, told her to take a break and play among the stars.

"She saw a buffalo herder by the banks of a stream, watering his herd and forgot all about the stars. She returned home late and her father was angry. When he found out why, he forbid her to meet the buffalo herder, and to stop them from meeting, he scattered many more stars into the sky.

"Now the stars became a flowing river and the lovers could not meet without a bridge. Both the Princess and the herd boy were distraught, and cried until the King of the sky relented. He made the Princess promise to work hard for a whole year, and in return, he would send a flock of magpies to build a bridge so the lovers could meet. Once a year, on the seventh day of the seventh month, every year. It's those two stars." Wei Ying pointed up at two brilliant, shining lights.

"That is a sad story, Master Wei."

A movement behind them had him vanish as suddenly as he had arrived.

The door of the Jingshi slid open and Lan Zhan came out with an extra robe. He sat down next to Wei Ying and pulled him close, but Wei Ying wanted to be closer. He turned and straddled his husband, who willingly opened his arms and covered them both with the extra layer.

Wei Ying snuggled closer, and to his satisfaction, the arms around him became tighter.

"Wei Ying could not sleep?"

"Mn."

"Bad dream?"

Wei Ying remembered the cause of his waking and quickly shrugged it off.

"No. I was thinking about Hui Gai."

Silence.

So Wei Ying prepared himself for a difficult conversation. He kissed Lan Zhan's neck and burrowed deeper into his husband's chest.

"Did you shout at him?"

"Mn."

"Why?"

There was no answer, so Wei Ying pulled back to look into the troubled golden eyes.

"Please tell me."

"Wei Ying put himself in danger."

"That's why?"

"Mn."

"You know, it wasn't his fault. And he saved me first."

A sharp intake of breath. "Explain."

"When we killed Min Qi Xue, his brother was released from his body. But his brother wanted to kill me...and Hui Gai wouldn't let him. He stood in the way, even fought his brother, but his brother was stronger than him. We had no choice, Lan Zhan. I had to save him." Wei Ying held him tighter.

"I did not know."

"But now that you do," Wei Ying smiled at him, "I would like to ask you for a favour."

"Anything."

"Really?"

"Mn."

Wei Ying was so delighted, he clutched his face and kissed him deeply.

"What does Wei Ying want?" Lan Zhan asked, when his lips were freed.

"I want you to allow Hui Gai to stay with us. He wants to make amends. He feels as if he has done lots of bad things, even though it wasn't his fault and he was forced to."

"Mn."

"Are you sure? I can tell him no, if you say, but-"

"Mn. If Wei Ying wants to help, it is fine."

"Thank you."

"Anything for Wei Ying."

This time, Lan Zhan kissed him first, eyes gleaming before they closed. He stood up without breaking the kiss, and went back inside.

*****

The next morning, they went to see Jiang Cheng. XiChen took Lan Zhan out of the Hanshi so the brothers were alone.

"Wei WuXian, I need your help." Jiang Cheng whispered, keeping an eye on the door.

"With what?" Wei Ying was already excited.

"Lan Huan is keeping something from me, and I need you to find out what it is."

"How do you know?" He asked, curiously.

"He's been acting funny, and when he thinks I'm asleep, he pulls out that screen and disappears behind it. He's doing something but won't tell me what, or show me." Jiang Cheng looked dejected.

"Ah." Wei Ying played along. "I know what he's doing." He announced, confidently.

"You do? Spill the beans already, then." Jiang Cheng settled back on his pillows.

Wei Ying thought carefully. How much to tell? He had accidentally interrupted his XiChen-Ge one time and seen everything.

"It's a surprise."

"So?" Jiang Cheng scowled. "I want to know."

"Alright. But you can't let on that I told you."

"Agreed. Tell me."

"He's learning to cook." Wei Ying lied. It would do his brother good to learn some patience.

"Cooking?"

"Yes, but it's not ordinary cooking." Wei Ying smiled, full of mischief.

"What do you mean?" Jiang Cheng didn't notice and was confused.

"It's a special type of cooking. For married people." He waggled his brows suggestively.

"What?!" Jiang Cheng face resembled a ripe tomato.

"Yes! He said it would make you-"

"Shut up." Jiang Cheng shouted. "Don't say ANOTHER word!"

"But you wanted to know, and I can tell-"

"Get out!" Jiang Cheng tried to get out of bed, so Wei Ying retreated, hands out.

"Alright, alright, I'm going. Stay there." He tapped his nose. "You better be ready. Your wedding night is going to be wild!" He laughed and ran out, the pillow thrown at him missing him by inches.