Chapter 28 Leaving

XiChen took him to the Hanshi immediately. Jiang Cheng would have found it amusing if not for the severity of the situation. He closed the door behind them and turned to find XiChen staring at him, fear in his eyes.

Jiang Cheng decided to put his own feelings aside and try to make XiChen feel marginally better at least. For that, a distraction was called for.

He came as close as could, putting his hands on his waist, lips close but not touching.

"I learned today that I have remarkable self control." He whispered.

XiChen felt the warm breath caress his lips, the heat from his hands burning through his robes at his waist, and knew without a doubt what Jiang Cheng was doing.

"I don't." He whispered back and held his face tenderly, pouring his love into the kiss.

They touched foreheads, looking into each other's eyes.

"You don't have to be afraid." Jiang Cheng said. He made sure only confidence showed on his face. "I don't die easily."

Only the sharp intake of breath betrayed his feelings. XiChen forced a smile on his face, but it couldn't reach his eyes.

"I don't want you to worry."

"I can't not worry," he replied with a sad smile. "I know we don't have a lot of time, but please, could you just hold me?"

Their height was similar yet XiChen managed to fit his face into the crook of his neck. Jiang Cheng discovered that he liked this feeling, of holding his whole world in this place.

After a while, XiChen pulled away, eyes red from the effort if holding back his tears. That sight alone produced a similar reaction in himself as Jiang Cheng fought for control.

A tear escaped, and he laughed sadly when XiChen wiped it away. "We can't both cry!"

"I have something for you," he said anxiously. "I know it's not the right time, but I want something of mine to stay with you." He went to a cupboard on the side of the room and took out a small velvet box.

"Jiang Wanyin, Jiang Cheng, the holder of my heart, would you do me the honour of being my Cultivation Partner?" XiChen stood uncertainly in front of him, love in his eyes and fear lacing his words.

Jiang Cheng closed the gap between them and kissed him deeply. "I'm not saying no."

XiChen looked alarmed and tried to step back. But Jiang Cheng held him tighter.

"Please listen, let me finish." He waited until XiChen looked at him. "I love you. Only you, forever. Nothing is going to change that. If things were different, I'd say yes in a heartbeat."

"But?"

"I..." He thought about how to say what he thought without hurting this wonderful man in front of him. "I'm definitely coming back." He started. "But-"

"No!"

"Lan Huan, listen to me." His voice was calm and in control. "We both have to face the reality that we're not in control of this situation. We can try and be as safe as possible, but in the end, all it takes is a look in the wrong direction." He kissed him again. "I need you to be brave for both of us."

XiChen sniffed. "I don't want to be."

"I know you. The moment I leave, you are going to be the best man in charge. I know you will take control. I believe in you." Jiang Cheng stepped back and opened his robe. He pulled a chain from around his neck that had a purple and gold ring hanging delicately off it. He placed it around XiChen's neck.

"Great minds think alike. I also want you to have this ring. My mother passed it to me when she sent us away from Lotus Pier. It's all I have left from her with Zidian. But I also wanted you to have something of mine. Besides my heart."

"That's kind of cheesy." XiChen actually smiled. He lifted it up to really look at it. "It's beautiful."

"I have another reason for not accepting your ring right now." Jiang Cheng admitted. "I don't think I should take anything personal with me, just in case it either gives me away, or they use it against me."

XiChen hugged him suddenly. "I know. I understand."

"You realize, you're not off the hook. I expect you to work on that proposal for when I return."

"What?" XiChen stepped back to look at him.

"Well, where's the romance? You didn't even buy me dinner!"

The knock on the door had them stepping further away from each other.

"It's just me!" Wei Ying called out excitedly. He didn't wait for them to open the door, just entered quickly. "I thought I'd find you here." He said beaming at both of them.

"Will you learn to read the room? We were talking about something serious!" Jiang Cheng admonished.

"That's why I've come!" He replied, still grinning like a maniac. "I have something for you."

"What?" His tone none too friendly.

"Well, you'll thank me when you see it!" Wei Ying carried on enthusiastically. "Look, it's a special type of talisman. Once you activate it, you can send a message on practically anything, paper, parchment, cloth, whatever."

"I can already do that." Jiang Cheng replied, dryly.

"No, wait! Watch this!" Wei Ying activated the parchment in his hand. It turned into a crane and disappeared.

"That's... amazing!" Jiang Cheng admitted, in admiration.

"I know, right? So you can totally send messages in secret. No one will know!" Wei Ying bounced around happily.

"Okay. Thank you. Now get out." Jiang Cheng pushed him towards the door.

"Wait! I want to know, did he ask you yet? What did you say?" He was still speaking when the door slammed in his face.