Chapter 22 Back

News of the attack affected everyone in different ways. Lan Zhan became especially attentive. Wei Ying only had to breathe the wrong way before he was fussing (silently) around him. He seemed to have a set of scales internally that swung wildly towards Wei Ying; the downside was that everybody else was practically ignored. It wasn't that he was actively rude, but then Wei Ying couldn't say he wasn't, either.

It was almost as if all his good will was used up taking care of his husband and he had none left for anybody else.

Jiang Cheng...hovered. He didn't even take pleasure in annoying JunJie Kang like normal. He just sat near Wei Ying, brooding.

Wen Ning was even more protective, if that was possible. Wei Ying would turn, and he'd be there.

Even Chang Chao, the youngest of their group, took to asking about his health, getting him water first and inadvertently pissing off Lan Zhan, who ignored him even more.

Wei Ying had had enough of it.

The problem was, he knew their intentions were good, they just wanted to make sure he was alright. But the slowly increased feeling of suffocation began to take it's toll.

They were sitting around the campfire as normal. It was their last night before they would reach Gusu the next day. Wei Ying was already wondering why the Dragon Guard was still with them. They were on high alert after the appearance of Min Qi Xue, but the whole incident seemed to bother JunJie Kang more than anyone else.

He angrily threw another log on the fire, the resulting spark catching Jiang Cheng's robes, but he didn't say a word.

Wei Ying thought it was time to put an end to this.

"Does anyone want to say what the soothsayer told them?"

They became even more quiet, shrinking into themselves.

The only one who remained normal since this trip began, was Li Hua. She looked impassively at him. He still hadn't had a chance to talk to her alone.

"It's all rubbish anyway." JunJie Kang said, irritably. "I don't know why you made us go and talk to him."

"Mind your language." Jiang Cheng said, with none of his usual fire.

They all looked uncomfortable.

"I didn't make anybody go. Besides, these sorts of skills are always a bit vague." Wei Ying defended himself.

"You should have been honest with us from the start," he continued as if Wei Ying hadn't spoken. "If we knew you had the knife, we could have protected you better, even killed that good for nothing. Then this whole problem would have been dealt with."

"You already knew about the knife." Jiang Cheng corrected him.

"But we didn't know how important it was to him, enough that he came. In person. To get it back." He carelessly tossed another branch into the fire.

This time, there were many sparks, all of them targeting Jiang Cheng.

He stood up and grabbed JunJie Kang by his robes in clenched fists.

"I've had just about enough of you. You're full of hot air. Have you actually done anything? Anything useful on this trip?" He shouted.

Li Hua pulled out her crossbow and aimed it at Jiang Cheng. Wen Ning looked at Wei Ying, silently asking if he wanted him to intervene. Lan Zhan didn't care.

Wei Ying sighed. He also stood up and separated the two men, waving a hand at Li Hua to put away her weapon. She smirked at him before sitting down again. Wen Ning just looked relieved.

"We don't need to do this." He said, looking at Jiang Cheng.

He huffed back a reply and sat down again.

"The dragons are our responsibility." JunJie Kang bit out. "It is our job to protect them."

"If Min Qi Xue has already got his hundred and eight dragons, you're not doing that great of a job, are you?" Jiang Cheng persisted.

Wei Ying threw him a warning look.

"Like it or not, we are allies. We want the same thing. It's better if we don't fight." He sat down next to Lan Zhan, knees touching. Lan Zhan smiled at him.

That was all he needed.

*****

The short ride into Gusu was pleasantly uneventful. Wei Ying was glad of the familiarity, the little sparks of joy at seeing his favourite places. People greeted him with waves and shouts, and he realized that he missed them, missed feeling like this.

It was great to leave Cloud Recesses now and again, but the feeling of coming home was priceless. He smiled brilliantly at Lan Zhan, trying to show him how he felt.

Although he was surprised when the Dragon Guard accompanied them all the way to the gates of Cloud Recesses.

"We're coming in." JunJie Kang stated.

"No, you're not." Wei Ying told him.

"But I told you! I believe I made myself clear, that we are solely responsible for the dragon. We must come with you." His face was becoming redder.

"The dragon is a person. He will stay where he likes." Wei Ying replied, calmly. But his instincts were telling him to keep them away from Shen Ling.

Lan Zhan stood in front of Wei Ying, both hands on Bichen.

"You are not welcome in Cloud Recesses."

JunJie Kang took a step back at the look in his eyes.

"We will stay in Gusu. You can't stop us from doing that."

"Indeed." Wei Ying said, amicably. "We would prefer you to stay close."

This seemed to appease him, and he stormed off, taking the other two with him.

Wei Ying noticed Wen Ning's gaze lingering on the retracted back of Li Hua.

"I'll have to go back to Lotus Pier for a few days." Jiang Cheng told him. "But I'll come back."

"I know you will!" Wei Ying winked, knowingly at him.

"Shut up!"