Chapter 52 Liberation

Hotter than anything he had felt before, Wei Ying was burning up, but he had never felt so happy!

Shen Ling, tell Lan Zhan to throw Bichen, he shouted in his mind.

Seconds later, a white flame cut through the fire, the sword miraculously on target. Bichen cut his ties and returned to his master.

Let me handle Min Qi Xue, he thought loudly, knowing that the dragon would relay the message. I know what I have to do.

Wei Ying surged forward to a distracted Min Qi Xue, and grabbed the knife in his chest, before the other knew what was happening.

"Yes! Master!" Hui Gai was ecstatic.

The knife was hard to pull out but Wei Ying used both hands and yanked hard.

It clattered to the ground. Min Qi Xue screamed, clutching his open wound. As they watched, his body crumpled to the floor, extinguished of life.

Words, meaningful and precious came to him then.

Dark Nights and Lonely Places,
Even though they be,
I am your shining Light,
May You come to Me.

Hui Gai! Come out! Wei Ying summoned the demon.

"It's a spell!" Wei Ying excitedly thought. "It's the one you can use to break the curse!"

A silvery white swirl of smoke poured out of the knife in his own chest. Wei Ying slumped to the floor. Lan Zhan caught him just then.

Wei Ying smiled at him in relief. Lan Zhan kissed his head and pulled him backwards.

Hui Gai was taller, stronger than before. His eyes burned red as he turned to check on Wei Ying, but his attention was lost to the black smoke coming from the body in front of him.

The body became greyer and then black, before turning into ash, as the other demon left it.

The shapes that Wei Ying had thought were trees, were people who suddenly attacked. Lan Zhan defended them both with Bichen, a question in his eyes.

"I'm fine," yelled Wei Ying, his eyes slowly closing. The clash of swords told him Lan Zhan had heard.

"Brother!" Hui Gai said, in disbelief, as the shapeless smoke formed into a tall, black scaled being. "Do you remember me?"

Hui Mai was taller, muscles rippling through his body, strength oozing from every pore. He turned towards the pile of ash on the ground and spat with hatred on it.

"We are free, brother. Master Wei freed us." Hui Gai continued, eyes shining with love at his kin.

"Free?" His coarse voice, deeper than Hui Gai, echoed around them. "And yet, you call him 'master'?"

"Master Wei is different. He is my friend."

"Humans are not friends!" He snapped, striding forwards. "And I shall show you, after the ritual is completed tonight." He picked up the knife.

He meant to attack Wei Ying but Hui Gai stood in the way.

"No, Brother! You can't kill him! Surely you don't mean to continue...you don't want to kill dragons...do you?"

Hui Mai laughed obnoxiously. "Indeed, I do." He stroked his chin, studying his brother, twin red eyes, judging. "In the beginning, I was like you. I hated what he made me do. But I got stronger, and then one day, I thought, what if he's right?"

"No!" Hui Gai couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"So I decided to wait until I could take over his mind completely. Now I don't need him at all, and after tonight, no one will have control over me. My power will be infinite!"

He went to push Hui Gai out of the way, but Hui Gai stood his ground.

"Move!" Hui Mai bellowed. "Don't make me hurt you!"

"Brother! You don't need to do this! We are free. We can go anywhere, do anything!" He cried, heels digging into the ground.

"I will kill each and every human in this world! Never again shall I allow the threat of being controlled!" Hui Mai attacked his brother with the knife.

Hui Gai dodged, panting. "No Brother, it does not have to be this way." He knocked the knife out of the other's hand.

They began wrestling, pulling any body part, biting and slashing with their tales. Wei Ying could only keep his eyes open for short periods, but even he could tell that Hui Gai was outmatched, in strength, stamina and skill. Hui Mai was ruthless.

He had to help his friend.

Shen Ling, I need you. Wei Ying shouted in his mind, trying to keep abreast of what was happening in front of him.

"Hui Gai? Your brother is not who you thought he would be. He still wants to kill the dragons." Wei Ying thought told Hui Gai. "I don't think you can save him."

Hui Gai stared at Wei Ying, grief visible in his eyes.

"You have to make the choice!" Wei Ying continued. "I want to help you, but you have to let me!"

Hui Mai took the opportunity of a distracted Hui Gai to grab his throat, lifting his body high, off the ground.

Hui Gai looked straight at Wei Ying and nodded.

Shen Ling! Wei Ying cried out, feeling the dragon. Help!

He felt the body land beside him. "Can you save Hui Gai?"

"Which one is that?" Shen Ling's voice rang true in his mind.

"The one in the air." Wei Ying looked up at him, worried.

"I can try and aim, but they are too close."

"I can fix that!" Wei Ying took a deep breath with determination.

He pulled the knife out of his own chest, nearly collapsing with the intense pain. He stumbled up and forced himself to run forward.

He stabbed Hui Mai in his back, making him drop his brother.

"Now!" Shouted Wei Ying. He threw himself over Hui Gai's body as the wall of red flame enveloped all three of them.

"Wei Ying! Nooo!" Lan Zhan's anguished cry filled the sky.