Chapter 49 Revelations

Min Qi Xue studied both men chained separately to the cold stone walls of the small cave.

He wouldn't need either of them now, but he didn't believe in killing anyone too fast. Chang Chao was assisting with the feeding of the dragons, so he was alone with them.

"The Yiling Patriarch," he started, walking to the man. "If I'm honest, you're quite the disappointment. I thought you were...harder to conquer. Who would have thought, all it took was misguided trust?"

Wei Ying refused to answer. Jiang Cheng was still unconscious, but that hadn't stopped them chaining him up.

His arm was on fire now. His body had been deprived of those hard to drink pain medications, but oh! How he wished for them now.

"That was my son's idea. He's coming along quite well, don't you think?" Min Qi Xue picked up the dagger from the table. "And this?" He came and stood too close to Wei Ying, gazing at his red arm. "Do you know what this is?"

His thumb grazed the fevered skin. Wei Ying let out a whimper.

"You have been cursed by the knife. That's what you get for touching something that doesn't belong to you." He picked up the too familiar knife in his other hand, showing Wei Ying. "I know you met my brother."

"Who's your brother?" Wei Ying's mouth was so dry, the words tasted like sandpaper.

"The blacksmith in Hui Wu. The creator of these beauties."

"He's your brother?" Wei Ying couldn't believe it.

"My twin brother. He found his calling rather late in life, you could say." Min Qi Xue put the ceremonial knife back on the table with the dagger.

"You know, the thing about curses, I think you have more than one."

"Doesn't matter." Wei Ying tried to lick his parched lips, and remembered Hui Gai.

"Oh, I don't know about that!" He drawled. "Curses are funny things. You never know how much the person who gave it, hates you. A curse is not an inconvenience, it is a punishment. Designed to cause as much pain as possible. Look, see what I can do."

Without warning, he jabbed his thumb into the middle of the dragon shape on Wei Ying's arm, pressing hard.

Wei Ying screamed, a curdle straight from his soul, and passed out.

******

The scream was what woke Jiang Cheng from his stupor. Dazed, he looked around, the chains clinking next to his ears.

"Wei WuXian!" He cried out, feebly. His body shook, pain radiating through his muscles. "Don't hurt my brother!"

"You, my friend," Min Qi Xue said with a laugh. "Are in no condition to make demands."

He grabbed the bucket of cold water near their feet and threw it without care over Wei Ying.

Wei Ying gasped awake, the cold shock making him tremble.

Min Qi Xue appraised his work so far.

"Let me tell you something very important about why we are here." He leaned against the table, watching both of them. "This place is my ancestral heritage. My forefathers found this specific mountain, two of them actually, that rest on Dragon veins. These are the Two Fang mountains, but their original name was Shuang Long Hui. The Twin Dragons."

He stroked his rough chin. "Do you know how hard it is to find a place like this? I am at my most strongest, most powerful right here. Tomorrow night will see the fulfillment of my destiny, the culmination of all my endeavours.

"Aren't there two knives?" Wei Ying asked, boldly.

"You do pay attention!" He smiled, evilly.

"Where's the other one? If you have two, why did you need this one?" Wei Ying persisted.

This had him standing upright suddenly.

Jiang Cheng had a bad feeling about this. If only his stupid brother could keep his mouth shut.

"What's it to you?" Min Qi Xue was very interested now. "They are my knives. Custom made. Why do you care?" He walked menacingly towards Wei Ying.

"Leave my brother alone!" Jiang Cheng yelled, strength returning to his voice.

Min Qi Xue placed his fingers around Wei Ying's throat and pressed firmly.

Wei Ying choked, struggling to breath, his eyes turning red with effort.

"No!" Jiang Cheng fought with his chains trying to break free. "Don't do it!"

"Relax." Min Qi Xue let go, as soon as Wei Ying lost consciousness. He rapidly unchained him and switched his position so his back was facing them.

"What are you going to do?" Dread crept up his spine, blasting his thoughts.

Min Qi Xue ignored him and put his hands around Wei Ying's waist.

Jiang Cheng was disgusted for a moment until he saw him unfastening his robes.

"Don't you touch my brother, you pervert!"

Min Qi Xue actually laughed at that.

"Sect Leader Jiang, I may be many things, but a cut sleeve I am not. I have my reasons for doing this." He discarded the clothes on the floor, kicking them to one side. He left Wei Ying's trousers on.

"My, my, my," he declared. "What have we here?"

Jiang Cheng was also shocked. His brother's back had four prominent slashes, but instead of being red, angry welts, they glittered and shone like the finest gold cloth. Scales of glittering hues decorated his skin from his neck to his waist.

Min Qi Xue was intoxicated by the view. His fingers brushed over the scars again and again, in wonder and awe. When he had his fill, he seemed to change his mind about what he had wanted to do to him, because he unchained Wei Ying and placed him back on the wall facing them as he had originally.

The bucket must have had some liquid left; he aimed it at Wei Ying's face as he spluttered awake.

"Since you are so interested in my knife, and I am, in turn, fascinated with your back, I think we can come to an agreement." A malicious thread wove around his words.

"I think I can add one more sacrifice to tomorrow's tally. Just to make sure."

Suddenly, he grabbed the ceremonial knife and plunged it into Wei Ying's chest.