Chapter 8 Results

XiChen called a meeting the next day. Wei Ying grinned knowingly when Jiang Cheng sat down next to him and gave him the evil eye.

"The rangers are back." XiChen said.

"Did they find anything?" Wei Ying was hopeful.

"They followed the blood trail to the edge of the forest, but it disappeared after that. In fact, all traces vanished."

"Do you think they used a transportation talisman?"

"It's a good theory."

Baoshen Sanren had joined them later. "Show me the knife."

Lan Zhan produced it and let it fall out of the pouch onto the table. She went to pick it up and they shouted warnings, but she ignored them.

And nothing happened to her.

They could only stare at her.

She turned the knife around in her palm, this way and that way.

"Grandma! How did you do that?" Wei Ying recovered first.

"Do what?"

"You picked it up...and nothing happened to you!"

"Maybe she's immune," Huaisang suggested. "She's been immortal so long, maybe nothing affects her."

"I don't think so." She stared at Wei Ying for a long moment. Then turned her attention back to the blade. "This is a spiritual weapon. Whoever infused it with evil intent, also placed part of their spiritual cognition inside it. Hence, the vision."

"Can you tell us anything else? What does it say?" Wei Ying couldn't believe his luck. His grandmother was so wise, and experienced, she would totally be able to solve this problem.

"The writing is an ancient form of Cantonese. Nobody speaks this, let alone be able to read it."

"Oh." His heart sank. "Did you find anything helpful yesterday, when you were looking in the library?" It was a general question directed to all.

"Nothing on the writing or the emblem yet, although there was some information about sects practicing strange rituals. No mention of dragons so far." XiChen said.

"So we're at a dead end." Wei Ying sat down, disheartened.

"I can read this." His grandmother said.

They all stared at her.

"Grandma, you're full of surprises," Wei Ying came and stood next to her. "What does it say."

"It's a sort of curse. I don't recognize one character, but I think the gist of it says to curse the one cut by this blade, all their powers can be absorbed by the the wielder. But I have never seen this emblem before." She returned it to Lan Zhan's pouch. "It seems to me, you have three directions to investigate."

"Please go on." XiChen was impressed by her.

"Firstly, you can still look for the crest or emblem and see if you find anything. Secondly, you could find out where the knife was made. It's too distinguishable not to be famous, definitely not a common item. Someone is sure to recognize it, at the very least, point you in the right direction. Onyx is a precious stone, I would imagine it would take a superior skill to mold it into this handle."

"Then, Brothers, we have to make an important decision." XiChen replied, looking around the room. "Do we want to involve the other clans?"

"Two things can happen if we do that," Wei Ying said, thoughtfully. "Either, someone will know something and we can make progress, or no one will tell us anything and the sect or cult or whatever you want to call them, go into hiding in which case, we lose any advantage." He absently scratched his arm.

"There was a cleansing in the cultivation world, many years ago. They called it the Cold Night Killings. These rituals were performed by strange priests, but their followers were ordinary people, who had infiltrated the clans. Of course, the clans couldn't have that," she went on, scornfully. "They went after every single person under suspicion."

"So you think they'll be reluctant to help?" XiChen asked her.

"They'll be embarrassed, first." She scoffed. "They don't want anything to tarnish their reputations. The first thing they'll try to do, is shove it under a carpet and forget about it."

"You're right, who would admit to being involved?" Wei Ying said. "Maybe we should delay letting the other clans know for now. Maybe make our own inquiries first."

"I will go back to the Unclean Realm today and talk with the Tower Master." Huaisang got up to leave.

"We can take the knife and ask around." Wei Ying suggested. "Like Grandma said, someone is sure to recognize it."

******

Li XiWang was sitting on the steps outside the library, waiting for Wei Ying. She grabbed his hand and walked with them, swinging it occasionally. Wei Ying bent to pick her up and she accidentally managed to press his arm. He almost dropped her.

Lan Zhan had seen that and took his arm, warning him through a look not to argue.

Wei Ying's arm was redder than before, and the black mark was bigger. He pulled Wei Ying back into the library to show his grandmother.

"It's getting worse, isn't it?" Wei Ying sat down heavily.

"Don't lose heart, Wei Ying." She told him, a rare kindness in her eyes. "We just need to find out what this is. Then how to cure it will be much easier."

Li Xiwang came and sat quietly next to him.

"You don't have to write to me, Wei gege. If your arm hurts." She said, softly, taking his other hand. "I can still write to you."

Wei Ying pulled her closer. "Thank you but that's not why my arm hurts."

She didn't believe him, so he thought of a way to distract her.
"I have something to show you."

She got up, excited.

Wei Ying took her to see the bunnies.