Chapter 9 Allies

Nie Huaisang had already left and Baoshen Sanren was leaving this morning with Li Xiwang. Wei Ying had spent the better half of the morning with her, growing quite attached. He didn't want them to go.

He walked down to the gates, chatting when he heard arguing.

"We are under lockdown, sir. No one is allowed inside Cloud Recesses at this time." The guard was insistent.

Wei Ying saw a group of men and a single woman, standing straight with spears in their hands. The woman also carried a crossbow. Their postures were rigid and unyielding, however their robes were a mish mash of browns and greens.

"We demand to see Sect Leader Lan XiChen now." Their leader said.

"What do you want?" Wei Ying asked them.

"It is an urgent matter, and confidential. I am only able to talk to the Sect Leader." The man in front said, bristling.

"Do you mind walking through them?" He whispered to his grandmother.

"Not at all." She grinned at him. "Li Xiwang, let's go."

Wei Ying couldn't help but admire her because she actually
walked through them. They gave way, so Wei Ying was slightly mollified.

He went back and told XiChen what was going on.

XiChen took an additional guard of four men with him and went to see what was going on.

Wei Ying made his way to the stables. Shen Ling was playing with his babies just outside, on the lush grasses of the horse pasture. Wei Ying watched while they climbed all over him, nipped at his ears and played a rough game of tag.

JingYi walked out of the stables, broom in hand, glowering at him.

Shen Ling saw him and came across, bowing. Wei Ying filled him in on whatever they had discovered the day before.

"It might be dangerous for you, Young Master, to pursue these people." He said.

"We can be careful, Shen Ling. But I think your protection is also paramount. Cloud Recesses is the best place you and your family can be."

Behind him came the noise of a bucket being thrown on the ground and footsteps stomping away.

Wei Ying snickered.

*****

Wei Ying was working in the Jingshi when his husband came to call him.

"Look, Lan Zhan! I've finished it!" He exclaimed excitedly. "We can test it later."

"Mn. Brother would like to speak to us."

Wei Ying bounced towards him, planting a noisy kiss on his face, but apparently it wasn't enough, because Lan Zhan pulled him back and reciprocated.

Wei Ying stumbled dizzily when he was let go of. "That's not fair!"

"Wei Ying should not start something he cannot finish." He smirked.

Wei Ying impersonated him in a higher pitch, snarky.

His smile only widened.

They walked hand in hand to the Great Hall.

"Do you know what XiChen-Ge wants?"

"No."

"Maybe he found something out..."

"Mn."

XiChen was waiting for them next to an anxiously pacing Jiang Cheng.

"So today, we were visited by some people. They call themselves the Dragon Guard. And they want a proper meeting." XiChen explained with a worried eye on the man who couldn't keep still.

"Did they give you anything else?" Wei Ying asked.

"No but I think their name is a bit worrying."

"You can't meet with them!" Jiang Cheng snapped. "You don't even know them. What if they're hostiles?"

"They are very insistent."

"I don't care!"

"We won't let them in. We can't let them in." XiChen continued. "But we can't put them off forever. What if this starts something which could have been avoided?"

"I have a solution." Wei Ying said.

Jiang Cheng glared at him.

"XiChen-Ge is right, that we should find out what they want. But maybe we can hold a meeting in town? That way, Shen Ling and his family are safe, because I'm making that assumption, and we will be able to judge their intentions."

"Wei Ying is correct." Lan Zhan said.

"Do you ever disagree with my brother?" Jiang Cheng was thoroughly pissed off.

XiChen stopped him pacing and whispered something close to his ear, which had him blushing furiously.

"So we're agreed, right?" Wei Ying grinned at his brother, knowingly.

"I shall make the arrangements." XiChen replied, also smiling.

*****

They left Cloud Recesses later that evening. Jiang Cheng insisted on being one of the guards, not leaving XiChen's side. XiChen wanted both his brother and brother in bond to be present, plus they had an extra ten man guard, just to be safe.

The inn at which the meeting would take place had private rooms, and they were the first to arrive. They sat on one side, waiting.

It wasn't long before a woman entered. Wei Ying immediately recognised her as the person standing next to the leader at the gates, from that afternoon.

"My Lords, may I present JunJie Kang, our leader of the Dragon Guard." She bowed.

Behind her, the leader entered, followed by the other man Wei Ying had seen.

"This is my right hand man, Chang Chao," he gestured to his right, "and this is my left hand lady, Li Hua."

"Welcome." XiChen said. "You did not bring anyone else?" He added, puzzled.

"No need," the leader said, smiling. "I am not afraid of you."

Wow! Wei Ying thought, confident much?

Jiang Cheng seemed to agree, his anger wafting out him in waves.

"We are the Dragon Guard, and we wish to formally request that you give up the dragon currently imprisoned at Cloud Recesses." He announced, proudly.

They looked at each other and Wei Ying couldn't help laughing.

The woman, Li Hua, threw her cloak on the floor and aimed a crossbow at him. But Wei Ying couldn't help staring at her beautiful armour. Red and gold metal glinted in a full body sheath. It was only when Lan Zhan growled possessively, that he blushed and stood up.

"Young lady, I do not mean any disrespect, so please, put away your weapon." He said, still smiling.

"Why do you think our guest is a prisoner?" XiChen asked.

Wei Ying gave her arrow a gentle push and when she disarmed it, sat down again.

"Obviously, the dragon is forced to stay there. I don't know what kind of black sorcery you are using, but it needs to stop." JunJie Kang replied.

"Who says we're using any sorcery?" Wei Ying drawled.

"No one's talking to you!" The other man declared.

Lan Zhan unsheathed Bichen. Which had the domino effect of the other men pulling out their swords and the crossbow being aimed once more.

Jiang Cheng unleashed Zidian.