After Dark (1)

--chapter one--

Bella Cullen

I still haven't gotten used to that name, Cullen. I'm a Cullen now, a newly born vampire. My thirst for human blood has cooled down quite a bit, and I'm getting better at hunting down prey. Renesmee has grown into a beautiful sixteen year old. She grows quite quickly, around three years in one. Renesmee likes Jacob alot, a bit too much for Edward's liking, but I don't mind. We keep a low profile now, especially Renesmee and I, we don't want people getting suspicious of who Renesmee is and why I'm not in university right now.

There is a soft tap at the bedroom door, our bedroom door, and the door opens. It's Esme.

"Jacob Black is here to see you." She said calmly.

Esme, Carlisle and I are the only ones who are tolerant of the werewolves, and it is quite strange because Jacob comes over alot so you would think they would have gotten used to him by now.

I put my book down on the wooden desk and go downstairs. I saw Jacob through the glass doors. He hadn't changed much, his skin was a bit darker and his hair was longer. His outfit consisted of a grey t-shirt and black shorts.

I opened the door.

"Hey Bella." He greeted me with a gentle hug. His powerful werewolf scent engulfes me.

"Jacob, Renesmee's hunting right now if you want to--" 

"I wanted to see you Bella."

"Um...alright. Come on in." I led him into the living room and we sat on the cool white leather seats.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"There have been some murders--"

"Vampire?"

He nodded.

"Two people went missing last week and today we found them hidden in the woods. Also Jordan, Seth's brother, was killed two days later." Jacob frowned.

I wanted to hug him, tell him everything is going to be alright, but I couldn't. My vampire smell was tough for him already and Edward and Jacob were on agreeable terms and I didn't want to spoil that.

"Wait, is --was-- Jordan a werewolf?" I asked.

"No, he was Seth's half-brother. Well, the genes could be there but he's never phased. We would have noticed the new wolf scent." Jacob answered.

We sat for a while in semi-awkward silence.

"Who do you think it could be?" I broke it.

"It can't be the red-head, she's already dead. Do you think it might be-- I mean maybe--" I knew where he was going with this.

"Us?" I asked, with a bit of annoyance. He knows what we feed on. Was he acussing us of attacking those people? "You know we only drink animal blood!"

"I know, I just had to check, because all these attacks are on the reserve, our territory, so right now anybody can be a suspect, even you Bella."

I was hurt that he could even say that. 

"Well Jacob, I can assure you that it wasn't a Cullen." I said with a bit of venom in my voice. He took the hint and dropped the subject.

"How's Renesmee?"

"She's okay. She's sixteen now so she has about four months and then she'll become a full vampire"

"As in she won't grow anymore? What does she live on?"

"Yes. She drinks animal blood." I stressed it out because I could tell he was on the same topic of accusing us of killing innocent humans.

"Ok..." He said in a thoughtful way.

Silence resumed.

"How's the Sam issue?" I asked.

"We are all trying to get along so we can solve this vampire issue. As you know, there is more safety in numbers"

The door opened. Edward, Carlisle and Renesmee walked in.

"Jacob!" Renesmee exclaimed.

She ran over to hug him. Carlisle simply nodded towards us and went to his office. Edward stood awkwardly in the corner, clearly dissaproving of what was going on.

"How've you been?" Jacob asked her. 

"Just doing some hunting, we found some really great deer on the east--"

"Shouldn't you be getting home Jacob? It's getting late." Edward interrupted. The sun was still shining, but setting in the process. It was around ten minutes to six.

Jacob glared at him.

Renesmee and I looked at each other, wondering if we should stop them from potentially ripping each others throats out in our house.

She linked her arm with Jacob's bare muscular one and said, "Come, I'll walk you outside."

He pulled his eyes away from Edward's narrowed ones and left with my daughter.

Sounds of the two locking lips were heard in a few minutes, and Edward furrowed his eyebrows in disgust.

"Come on, they're just kids, let them have their fun." I said and stood next to him.

"Well, Renesmee is, not Jacob." He replied.

I frowned and he pulled me into a hug. "I'm just a kid, let me have my fun." Edward said, while mocking my tone of voice.

I looked up at his face. "Shut up..." I said.

What Jacob told me got me thinking, there could actually be great danger for us with a dangerous new vampire in town. More people could get killed, even the werewolves as they try to stop him/her. Maybe we should join forces again, Vampires and Werewolves. Because if together we can stop the volturi, together we can stop this vampire.

*****