7. Picnic Writing

Start from the beginning

"Okay how about this?" Joon asked. I took it from him and started to read.

"I love this concept" I blurted before I'd even managed to finish. I started feeling excited about the prospects of what was to come from this song.

"Me too. Let's go with this then" he beamed.

Time went by as we both discussed and brainstormed a melody and lyrics. I quickly realised just how talented Namjoon was. He was thoughtful and open, creative, intelligent and.. sweet. We decided to take a break, he took out some canned coffees from his bag, cracked them open and then handed me one. I thanked him, watching as he leaned back on his hands and looked out at the clear sky.

"So.. Can I ask? When did you fall in love with music?" I took a sip of my coffee as I inquired.

"Hmm. High school for sure. But, you know what it's like. Parents push their agenda onto their kids. To be a Rap Star is a hopeless dream right? Do it later and focus on studying." Namjoon sighed, gaze averting to me.

"Following your dreams isn't easy but, it's an easy choice as soon as you realise that music is your life and you wouldn't be living without it" he finished saying. His words were heavy-handed. They also held a lot of truth.

"Anyone with that much resolve, it'd be impossible for them not to make that dream come true" I said, "I admire anyone who's that brave."

I felt Namjoon shift slightly. I didn't know if he was uncomfortable or just in his head. I had no idea what he was thinking...

"What about you then? Is this the dream? Or, is there something else?" His tone was light as he asked, but the question itself made me pull from somewhere deep for the answer.

"I agree with what you said before. Music is life, it's everything. It connects us in a world where everything can feel so disconnected. Having something that can comfort me, understand me, motivate me. I could go on about the way music makes me feel but, you already know." I took a deep breath and laid back before continuing. "I don't think I have a dream... I just want to live a full and happy life. And I want people around me to be able to do the same thing" I looked over to see Namjoon staring back at me. He broke eye contact after a few seconds, only to let out a sigh harshly.

"You're too good to be true Jia. Don't take this the wrong way but, I can tell you have talent. Straight up. Just, don't hold yourself back. Okay?" I took a moment to digest his words. I still couldn't completely understand what he might be implying but I agreed nonetheless.

Suddenly Joon's phone started ringing, he excused himself for a moment while he answered it and walked off so I wasn't in earshot of the call. I finished my coffee when I felt my phone vibrate. It was a text from Tae. I opened it up.

Tae: Jia, you want me to come to pick you up tonight?

Jia: Ummm

Jia: Yeaaa okay, I'll send you my address!

Tae: Okkk, see u at 6 🤡

I check the time then lock my phone and put it back into my pocket. It was already 4 pm so I probably needed to go home now and get ready. Namjoon was still on the phone so I decided to pack up our things.

Then, I carefully walked over to try and tell him I had to go. I could start to hear what he was talking about, he sounded stressed out.

I hope he was okay... His back was facing me. As I listened more I heard him talking about deadlines he needed to meet or something but he needed more time.

Even though I was curious I needed to go so I whisper shouted his name which got his attention. He whipped around and looked at me, I made a silent motion explaining I had to go and he nodded and mouthed "okaaay, sorryyy" back.